are you a builder or buyer?

• Total voters

turbo

Well Known Member
Van's Latest Thoughts post spurred my interest on the statistic that almost 50% of the recent fatal accidents were by purchasers, not builders. what is the percentage here? being a builders site the poll may favor the builder.

statistics never lie....they just....????

Van's Latest Thoughts post spurred my interest on the statistic that almost 50% of the recent fatal accidents were by purchasers, not builders. what is the percentage here? being a builders site the poll may favor the builder.

I am all for safety, whether it is by proficiency checks, type ratings etc.
Seems to me the issue is pretty clouded without better stats; is the average builder better suited to deal with emergencies, or is he/she better at plane old stick & rudder, having flown the Phase I & II testing?
Some 'buyers' must be ex-air force or Mooney IFR drivers who are well able to handle an RV....so are the bulk of the accidents from low-time, lousy pilots who go out and make big smokin' holes?

..no doubt the truth lies somewhere in between. Even the insurance companies are left guessing, as evidenced by the strange risk ( price) variation, or lack of, in many cases!!!

I helped my friends build several different RVs, including the one I'm in the process of buying now. Had enough airplane building and I just want to fly now :p

I've got about 100 PIC hours in tailwheel RVs now, so I think I'll do OK as a "buyer". The transition from spamcan to RV was to me a lot like learning how to fly an airplane all over again, so I can understand why the safety record for "buyers" is a little more negative. Glad I made it "over the hump" without bending any aluminum... or worse.

Last edited:
Van's Latest Thoughts post spurred my interest on the statistic that almost 50% of the recent fatal accidents were by purchasers, not builders. ...

So then ~50% of the crashes are by builders.

It all comes down to the pilot, their attitude, and their approach to learning to fly a new aircraft. Unsafe pilots crash and burn in C-152's as easily as they can in a RV.

All the safety talk in the world won’t stop people from doing buzz jobs to a pull up and low altitude roll. Same as it is unlikely to stop people from running out of fuel or continuing on VFR into IMC. IF the pilot’s head is not in the right place then the plane can end up in the wrong place.

What about someone who buys a project under way, but is the one to finish, and fly it??

I'm a Buyer

I think that I am pretty handy with wrenches and assisting on maintenance, but I don't know if I really want to fly something I built.

I have owned (in order):

Beech Sierra
C-172
Half a flight school (owned 3 152's and leased 172s and a 182)
C-182
PA30 (1964 twin comanche) - a beautiful aircraft, that I still get to fly sometimes
M7-235C (Maule) - a true handful.. runs out of ailerons in stiff x/w
Now, an RV7

Miss the twin comanche as an instrument platform; love the RV7 so far.. have about 70 hours in it I believe... total time is somewhere over 1000 hours..