CPSONE

Well Known Member
What do you do for excercise to stay fit and healthy? Building takes so many hours of your time, do you still put time aside to stay fit?
I read the builder manual when using (yes actually using) my treadmill.
Makes the time go by real fast!
Any other ideas?

Last edited:
I think you have to ask yourself, why is it that building is such a higher priority then something else? Are you self imposing some kind of dead line? I would say it's a matter of personal choice. I get to my plane when I can, but not at the expense of other things. It really comes down to the individual IMO.

I'm not willing to compromise on fitness. I'm an avid cyclist (in fact I look forward to using my RV-7 as a bicycle range extender) and I keep that up.

I work out every morning before going to work. That won't change when I start building.

Cheers,

I run 10-15 miles per week. I work mostly from home and can literally run out the door when I have time between phone meetings. Takes me 30 minutes to do 3 miles, so I'm not the fastest runner, but I do like getting outdoors. It does help keep the heart ticking and blood pressure regulated!

My wife race-walks...

...around the runway every morning for nearly an hour and I walk fast enough to keep up with her for 30 minutes or so, since we live 1/2 mile from the airport.

We have a Concept II rowing machine that I use at night for 20 minutes or so and that thing will put a hurtin' on you! Talk about a cardio exercise!!

Best,

I let myself go during my 3.5 year build of my RV and packed on some pounds (you can go here for a before pic). I got back into shape though. I took up the gym and running and I've done three half marathons (one last weekend) and one full marathon, and plan on doing another full this fall. There is *nothing* like hopping into an airplane you built in your garage, throwing your running gear in the back, and heading out to a race.

Here's a pic of me this past Saturday in the final 50 feet of my third 1/2M. No, I do not make pleasant photos at the end of a race. :)

run2.png

BTW: The shirt was for my buddy Kenton who died in January at the age of 28 after being diagnosed with testicular cancer just three weeks before. My wife (who ran the 10k at the same event) and I wore the shirts in honor of him.

I started playing Racquetball back in 1971, at the time it was called paddle rackets. I have played 3 days a week for over 30 years, not sure what I will do when I'm not able to play.
Racquetball is a great competitive way to stay in shape but unfortunately the sport seems to be heading for a slow death in our area.

Both my daughters live out of town, prior to marriage they brought the future husbands home to meet the parents. One of them had taken Racquetball in college and boasted about passing with a high grade. You know where this is going, young guy is going to show the future father in law how good an athlete he is. Maybe I was a little to tough on them as they always "forget" the equipment when they come to visit. I

I've done three half marathons (one last weekend) and one full marathon, and plan on doing another full this fall.

BTW: The shirt was for my buddy Kenton who died in January at the age of 28 after being diagnosed with testicular cancer just three weeks before. My wife (who ran the 10k at the same event) and I wore the shirts in honor of him.

I've tried running, my body hates it. For me, 100 miles on a bike is child's play compared to a full marathon- my hat is off to you for running even one marathon, let alone planning for another.

My condolences about your buddy. My best friend, cycling companion and also a pilot died 12 years ago from Lou Gehrig's disease. I'd been making noises for years about building an RV-6. His last words to me were to get on with it. His motto sounded morbid: "do it today- tomorrow you might be dead". But he had a point, and so I followed his advice. Except that it's a -7 :)

Fitness

Same as Pierre, Concept II rowing machine 5000 meters 3 times a week with heart monitor. Some of the best money I ever spent. I have the same machine at my place of work (North Sea Oil Platform) so it is easy to keep up the routine.

Still building
Rob

I've tried running, my body hates it. For me, 100 miles on a bike is child's play compared to a full marathon- my hat is off to you for running even one marathon, let alone planning for another.

Thanks, Lars. You know, whatever gets people off the sofa and moving works for me. I play a little racquetball here and there and I love doing cycle classes and doing a little mountain biking as well. I have my eyes set on doing an Ironman event, but I can't swim worth diddly. I'm working on that, though. :cool:

I've tried running, my body hates it.

Try running barefoot. Seriously it's the greatest thing ever. I always had knee/hip/shin problems trying to run long distance. Finally started coming across articles of runners writing about how great it was. Think about it, take 30 years of "professional" science out in terms of rediculois running shoes and other ****, and just put nature and evolution back in the drivers seat.

It took me about two weeks to aclimate, it's BRUTAL on your calves, but once I got past the growing pains, I lost every twinge of pain and sports injury I ever had. Then I started pulling 5, 6, 7 milers barefoot. Plus it's fun! I run predominately on roads, some trails when I can find them. Pick yourself up a pair of Vibrams Five Fingers. They're basically gloves for your feet, with thin rubber soles, like tire tread. I have 4 pairs for different places. Unlike running shoes, you only have to replace them when you wear out the rubber sole.

I think you have to ask yourself, why is it that building is such a higher priority then something else? Are you self imposing some kind of dead line? I would say it's a matter of personal choice. I get to my plane when I can, but not at the expense of other things. It really comes down to the individual IMO.

Right on dude! I still ride bike an hour a day. What good is an airplane if you can't pass the medical required to fly it?:D

Try running barefoot. Seriously it's the greatest thing ever. I always had knee/hip/shin problems trying to run long distance. Finally started coming across articles of runners writing about how great it was. Think about it, take 30 years of "professional" science out in terms of rediculois running shoes and other ****, and just put nature and evolution back in the drivers seat.

It took me about two weeks to aclimate, it's BRUTAL on your calves, but once I got past the growing pains, I lost every twinge of pain and sports injury I ever had. Then I started pulling 5, 6, 7 milers barefoot. Plus it's fun! I run predominately on roads, some trails when I can find them. Pick yourself up a pair of Vibrams Five Fingers. They're basically gloves for your feet, with thin rubber soles, like tire tread. I have 4 pairs for different places. Unlike running shoes, you only have to replace them when you wear out the rubber sole.

I wish :) My feet are a podiatrist's delight- bunions, neuromas (the worst problem for me when running). Then there are the x-rays of my ankles and knees. Ironically much of that from years of... mountain biking. Or rather, how I have gotten off the mountain bike. More like being forcibly ejected. All my fault. I haven't learned a thing either. Still at it, still having as much fun as ever!

I should add I was checking out some 5 Fingers at REI the other day. Knowing me, I will cave and have to try them, regardless of what I wrote above.

I wish :) My feet are a podiatrist's delight- bunions, neuromas (the worst problem for me when running). Then there are the x-rays of my ankles and knees. Ironically much of that from years of... mountain biking. Or rather, how I have gotten off the mountain bike. More like being forcibly ejected. All my fault. I haven't learned a thing either. Still at it, still having as much fun as ever!

I should add I was checking out some 5 Fingers at REI the other day. Knowing me, I will cave and have to try them, regardless of what I wrote above.

Podiatrists are regarded on about the same level as chiropractors in the orthopedic world. "Experts" tried to tell me that I had high arches, and needed all kinds of special running shoes, insoles, etc. It's a load of ****. Cavemen chased their food all over Gods creation without shoes and managed. Modern shoes have made our feet lazy, the muscles have atrophied. After I started running barefoot, and my feet got over the initial soreness of remembering how to run, suddenly every ailment I'd ever had miraculously vanished. Try it out. Ever heard the old joke "whats the difference between pilots and God? God doesn't think he's a pilot." Replace pilot with doctor. Back to basics, and it works. Try googling the Tarahumaran Indians of Copper Canyon Mexico.

Get some five fingers and start walking in them. Then try jogging a little bit. Work up to it, you'll find in the first few strides that it forces your body to run up on the balls of your feet. You'll strike foot forward and down the way you're designed. You won't strike heel first, because it hurts, you're not supposed to! Your ankles and calves will transmit the energy and you'll find it's surprisingly more efficient. There's no shock to your joints above the calf, your legs relearn how to distribute through muscles you've forgotten how to use. It's weird the first few times, but trust me your body will remember. I used to have terrible knee pain, now the only time my knees hurt is after 8 hours of snow skiing. Give it an honest try for two weeks, building up to it and you'll be a believer, however your calves will feel like someone has driven nails into them after the first couple of work outs!!!

Last edited:
Exercise to fly

I know we don't have control over a lot of our health but for the limited number of areas where we can do something to stay healthy, I do my best. Eat healthy and exercise. I run several times a week even in winter. Thankfully, my S/O is a big time runner and pulls me along :D We enter several runs each year, including next weeks St Patty's Day run in Chicago. Now-a-days the longest runs I enter anymore are half marathons. Thats enough for me and I really have to run a lot to get up to that level. What does all of this have to do with RV's? Lower weight, more endurance, and better lungs for starters!

Here we are a couple of years ago at the Air Force Marathon in Dayton:

DSCF0765.jpg

DSCF0763.jpg