Neal Trombley

Well Known Member
I am prepping my garage for the up-coming build this this year and part of the process is finishing the garage floor with a urethane coating... turned out nice much better than epoxy IMO...

do you guys put anything down on the floors to protect the floor or the plane?

I have seen roofing paper on some garage floors but that was mostly composite builders, resin / chemical spills..

anyway I wish all the best in 2017!!

and......

Concrete rule # 1.....paint it once, paint it forever.

No thanks, so I decided on Oil-drip Terrazzo with a splash of Spilt Paint Spread.

Seriously, I just need a floor I can abuse with dropped tools, jacks, ramps, but do ogle my neighbor blue/gray speckled epoxy with his lovely Stearman on top.

I used Glidden, solvent based epoxy on my basement and garage floors 28 yrs ago. I am not kind to them. There are some chips and some scratches from dragging engine blocks and such across the floor. Overall I am really happy with the longevity of the floor. Only peeling is where the car tires ground small gravel in the finish and the salt penetrated to corrode the substrate. It began after 20 yrs.The worst effects on cosmetics are overspray and resin drops. You might want to address these with a tarp during these phases. Allowing damp raw steel on the floors will yield a hard to remove iron stain. A hydrochloric acid solution will take off most of it. Urethane seems like a better alternative.

For non coating alternatives, I have read about colloidal silica surface treatments combined with polishing. That seems to be oil and water proof and the surface is much stronger than the original pour. If there are contractors out there, please let us know the inside information on this along with any drawbacks. Apparently, it can be applied to existing concrete too. It is a micro sized particle that fills the normal gaps in the concrete micromatrix and chemically bonds to yield superior properties. Polishing is a final finish. Maybe it is a good option.