RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am tired of having to stop my build in order to have to go out to the store or wait for an order for what will eventually be typical consumables I will always need. I am talking about things like lubricants, sealants, primers, and touch up paints or other type liquids or semi-liquids. So what I hope to do with this tread is get recommendations/suggestions on what a builder might want to buy so that the items are on hand once the project progresses to a point where the items are needed. Some items like pro-seal has a limited shelf life so that would have to be purchased near the time it is needed. After I get a fairly comprehensive list I will post it under “Tips” with the various recommendations sorted by category, perhaps a link to an Excel file with the information as well. Of course anyone who has compiled this type of information, please pipe up. I am doing this because I found nothing under VAF search that provided the consolidated information. I will some I have read about, I will not mention a use if I don’t know one. If I am wrong about something please correct me, we can all pick up bad gouge from time to time.

Lubricants (please post where/what used)

LPS2 – General use- ideal for control bearings or other moving parts

Lubriplate-something to do with prop, I used this to grease the aileron bell crank bushing surface.

White Lithium grease-lube inner workings of the pneumatic squeezer

Silicone lubricant-adjustable rudder pedal guide tube

Sealants

Pro-Seal – Fuel tank sealer, general purpose adhesive as well

Permetex Thread Sealant with Teflon – Seal pipe threads like fitting into brake masters

Adhesives

Pro-Seal –general purpose adhesive (static ports, exhaust ramp vibration control)

RTV Blue – rudder and elevator crack control, or just to stick something to aluminum, the “Blue Ultra” I hear does not have any that will be corrosive or collect moisture.

Super glue – holed washer to nut while installing on bolts or holds shim in place until fastener is installed

Last edited:
WD40 added

Lubricants (please post where/what used)

LPS2 ? General use- ideal for control bearings or other moving parts

Lubriplate-something to do with prop, I used this to grease the aileron bell crank bushing surface.

White Lithium grease-lube inner workings of the pneumatic squeezer

Silicone lubricant-adjustable rudder pedal guide tube

WD40-Removes glued on labels

Sealants

Pro-Seal ? Fuel tank sealer, general purpose adhesive as well

Permetex Thread Sealant with Teflon ? Seal pipe threads like fitting into brake masters

Adhesives

Pro-Seal ?general purpose adhesive (static ports, exhaust ramp vibration control)

RTV Blue ? rudder and elevator crack control, or just to stick something to aluminum, the ?Blue Ultra? I hear does not have any that will be corrosive or collect moisture.

Super glue ? holed washer to nut while installing on bolts or holds shim in place until fastener is installed

I guess you have to add somthing below the quote, it does not let you post with just the quote.

Boelube

Boelube stick- Lubricant used for extending the life of drill bits, countersinks, reamers etc. I found it works very well on the pilot of my countersink bits.

Can't quote a quote

Well I did not realize this but you can't quote a quote. So please keep adding to the list, I will edit the first post about the quote button. I will consolidate the posts when we have a bunch

Thanks for he inputs.

Fluids, liquids:

Red (high temp) RTV
EZ Lube (fuel system)
Van's powdercoat touch-up paint (weldments)
Alodine
Cutting oil (for tapping & threading)
Air tool oil
MEK
Acetone
West System epoxy and the many accessories used in fiberglass work.....whole 'nother subcategory.

Dry consumables:

Disposable paper shop towels, cotton rags
Disposable latex gloves, powdered
Rivet tape
Blue painters tape, various widths.
#11 X-acto knife blades
Single edge razor blades
Sharpie pen, fine point
Tongue depressors/popsicle sticks
Paper cups, waxless
Disposable chip brushes, 1"
Disposable artist brushes
Maroon Scotchbrite pads

I consider #30, and 40 drill bits to be consumables, (though not a liquid as you requested.)

Hardware stuff

I consider #30, and 40 drill bits to be consumables, (though not a liquid as you requested.)

Mike I totally agree about the drill bits, I also bought some castle nuts and additional AN nuts an bolt, this allows for losses under the bench and such. I like the castle nut because I can spin them on finger tight and just tighten them down slightly for temporary installations of things that will just come off again. Most of this stuff is intuitive to the new builder and called out in the instructions. I have been slowed down with the instructions say "lightly grease XYZ" and I have had to go and research what kind of grease, will it cause corrosion, it is FAA approved or any of a number of other things.

If I had a list like I am trying to develop when I started, I would have bought it all after I stared the fuselage, so that it was on hand and I would not have to search numerous threads for what to use. Hopefully this list will help a future builder not have to stop what they are doing to do this kind of research.

Cheers

I guess what would be helpful also, is listing quantities as well.

So I'm thinking, don't be buying your MEK/Acetone/Lacquer Thinner by the quart. I'm on my second gallon on Lacquer thinner.
Or maroon pads. 30 pads is not excessive.
#30 and #40 driil bits, I'd be ordering them by the five's.

Last edited:
I understand the frustration at times (especially as I was nearing the end; it seemed like I was always receiving a package from ACS with a handful of small nuts/bolts/screws/etc.) but for a lot of things I simply enjoyed my trip to Home Depot as a 'thinking break' before I continued on the next step of the project. That said, lay in a supply of shop towels and rags. Oh, and I defied the Gods by getting a first aid kit. It worked; I never needed it, except when my next-hangar-over neighbor tripped and cut himself (he doesn't have one, obviously... ;))

On that note - you will want to remove any blood from non-alodined and non-anodized surfaces after you've finished tending to the source of the blood. It will foster spot corrosion later on.

Beer lot and lots of beer. You'll be running out of that fluid often. You might want to find a spot where you can buy it wholesale.

Did someone list Sharpies? You will go through a lot! You can buy a 12 pack of blue fine-lines at Office Depot for about $9.

For fiberglass cloth - yes, a definite "have on hand" thing for small jobs when you need it. Try buying at the marine store, off the roll - pre-packs are way more expensive, and the marine places can be way cheaper than aviation supply - but I don't recomend this if it is structural, of course.

Paul

Alumiprep
Medium and Fine grade polish discs for the die grinder air tool (I also have a few "superfine" and "ultrafine" grade discs, and a very few coarse grade)
Sandpaper in various grades

Roll pins for backrivet sets. Mine have eaten a few of them (especially the double-offset backrivet set), and it's a PAIN to have to stop work, go to store, etc....buy 3 or 4. They're cheap).

Latex or rubber gloves

Not at this point yet, but probably extra cotter pins in various sizes, since you can't (or shouldn't) reuse them?

More Stuff

Hardware:
Selection of "oops" (NAS 1097) rivets. Avery has a kit.

Solvent:
Coleman fuel (naptha) - not as deadly as MEK, good for cleaning small parts prior to priming. Buy it by the gallon.

Primer:
Couple of rattle cans of self-etching type, even if you are using a spray system for the big stuff.

Sanding sponges are very convenient. To sand curves they also sell padded sandpaper, it's durable and can flex better than regular sandpaper or emery cloth. Basically you can wrap it around your fingers and sand, say, inside the lower cowling snout and have a good control on what you are doing.