andrew phillips

Well Known Member
I have been thinking about the possibility of assembling my own engine. Can anyone recommend a good suppplier that sells the engines as a complete kit (Lycoming IO-360). Also, anyone who has already done this...how did it work out for you?

Thanks

Andrew Phillips
7A QB in transit from Van's

Engine building

Andrew,

There was an article in either the last edition or the previous edition of Sport Plane by EAA by a fellow who built an engine for his RV. I can not recall off top of my head this morning exactly which engine manufacturer it was. I know it wasn't Lycoming. I am sure someone else will reply with manufacturer for you.

Good luck.

Still waiting for weather to cooperate before first flight.

Been there

I just completed an O360 kit from ECI last week. Radomir is another builder. I think we would both recommend Jesse at AERO for supplying the kit.

I've generated a set of instructions for assembly, along with about a hundred photos that I'm working on editing and posting for anyone to use. I should have these ready in about a week and will send a notice on this forum when ready.

I would recommend assembling the engine to anyone. It's a lot of fun, economical (I figure about $17K for the engine/accessories) and rewarding to be able to do something start to finish in a week.

Tim,

Please do post this when you are done, I'd be very interested in seeing it since I have no airplane engine experience, but other engine experience.

Ryan

aero

Can't say enough good things about Jesse at Aero. Put together an O-200 for my 150 about 3 years ago. Jesse bent over backwards to round up the parts. I will use an O-360 ECI from Aero & build it myself. It also helps they are in my back yard!

Terry Uebinger
6-A finishing

I'm having a hard time picturing myself building an engine, yet the idea is appealing both from a cost savings and personal accomplishment standpoint.

Seems like the margin for error in building an engine would be much tighter than in basic RV assembly.

For the DIY engine builders - Is this something the average RV builder can do? Are there any particular skills needed beyond knowing which end of a wrench to hold, and being able to read and follow instructions?

IMVHO, there are quite a few "tricks" that if not done right will bite you. I wouldn't recommend it for the average person. You need to have at least an above average mechanical aptitude, do a good bit of research and have some good knowledge sources to lean on.

Go to OSH and spend a day watching/helping put a 320/360 together (or take one apart on alternate days, or both!) with the guys from Mattituck. It is the real deal, and is an ALL DAY AFFAIR.

Take lots of pictures, buy the DVD if it looks like you might do it.

Watching (and doing if you want) it being done was invaluable, especially with all the tricks/nuances pointed out as you go along. And it's FREE!

I actually had an A&P (from the crowd) working next to me when I was there a couple of years ago. He acted like he had learned something when it was done!

If you're not sure after that, pay someone to do it for you!

Back when I was planning to use a Lycoming-type engine, I took extensive pictures and notes at an engine building seminar at OSH. See here for details.

http://brian76.mystarband.net/SuperiorTextPics.htm

My ISP seems to have been down all day, but I assume they will be back up tomorrow. People from some places can hit my web site today, but many cannot. I assume it's a temporary thing. ;-)

HTH,
brian

Superior

Andrew,

I am going to build mine at Superior for the $1000. I think it is money well spent and they are 30 minutes away. They do have good build classes and a great teach in Evan Yearsly.

Good luck on your choices and do the homework on the investment.

This past summer I built or rather rebuilt a 0-320 back to factory spec. To me this was a rewarding experience, not only the fun of building but saving some big bucks. Bill at CXO Excell Aviation watched over me like an old mother hen. He is a grate man. It reminded me of rebuilding an old 1930 model tractor not hard to do jest has to be right.
Oh by the way the money I saved ?. Spent it on a GRT panel.
Go for it. G.P.

Roll your own Lyc

trib said:
I would recommend assembling the engine to anyone. It's a lot of fun, economical (I figure about $17K for the engine/accessories) and rewarding to be able to do something start to finish in a week.

Trib, That would be so helpfull... I have replaced many a jugs over the years but have always sent the case work out. It looks easy and I have the Lyc overhaul manuals and some experienced help. Did you do your own balancing of the rods and pistons?

Rods and pistons all came balanced from ECI, with appropriate weights noted. Each was balance to the same gram (so less than 1 gram difference). The crankshaft was statically and dynamically balanced. No machining is required when purchasing the kit. I checked most tolerances (such as piston ring gaps and crank oil slinger play). All were dead on at the most desirable end of tolerance.

trib said:
I've generated a set of instructions for assembly, along with about a hundred photos that I'm working on editing and posting for anyone to use. I should have these ready in about a week and will send a notice on this forum when ready.

Definitely looking forward to seeing your product!!!!