dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
It seems evident to me establishing and maintaining a website during a build would satisfy most aspects of builder involvement during construction. Can anyone direct me where to look for help in building a site?

If you go with Kitlog Pro, I think a web site is included. A lot of people use that, and If I didn't have a web server of my own, I'd probably have gone with Kitlog Pro.

I do happen to have my own web server, so I just use a Wordpress blog. There are more than a few of those too. Edit: You can build a free Wordpress blog at wordpress.com. 3GB of space.

Last edited:
It really depnds on your requirements. I'm an IT guy that supports multiple web sites on a daily basis. I decided for my build, I didn't want to do more "work" like tasks. I opted to go with KitLog, warts and all. The good news is that there is a pending new release that should resolve most of the limitations.

KitLog keeps a local database on your PC. then you just click on a couple buttons to publish to their website. You also have the ability to print localy, back up the files to another source, and write custom interfaces if you are really anal and want something different.

There are other solutions out there. Like I mentioned, it really depends on what you want and how much time are you willing to spend to get it.

bob

+1 for Kitlog

It's kind of bare-bones, but it's quick and easy to log stuff, so there's less time updating and more time building. Also, it tracks costs, is printable, you can filter through the logs to find stuff easily and it's cheap.

I started with Kitlog but honestly didn't like it - I ended up with Expercraft (see link in signature below).

I'm using Google's free blogger service. Google "blogger" or "blogspot" to read about it. Probably better, faster, prettier stuff out there but this is so easy I don't have any need to change. What makes it easy for me is I take pictures with my camera that has an Eye-Fi card that uploads automatically to Google's free online photo storage. It's linked to blogger so a post takes only a minute or two.

Squarespace

I also started with Kitlog and was not at all impressed. The platform is simple but does now allow for much modification. I then went to Squarespace and really like it. Has lots of options for modification and templates. There are also lots of programmers out there that will help customize for little or no money.

I rolled myself a slightly customized Wordpress site for my log.

I wonder if there'd be any interest in a prefab Wordpress install for logging? If, say, I were to bang up a few common plugins for stuff like time tracking and so forth, a nice basic customizable template, and make that available to the E-AB community...would anyone here be interested in something like that? Something where you could turn up a new log and maintain it with a minimum of work?

Bare bones

I may be making a mistake, or just be in the minority, but I opted to track time and tasks with a spreadsheet and take pictures as the build progresses. That logs time without making a production out of it. Everything is on the computer which is backed up to an external drive now and again.

==dave==

I figured most of my documentation would be photos. I am using my SmugMug Power account (unlimited space for photos and videos for $60 a year). I just caption the photos as I upload them and that is my build log. I broke up the parts of the build into separate topics and albums for each area of the project.
Having lots of photos is great, and I can share them here easily, since they are all hosted on the web. Having all of my build photos stored in the cloud also provides me with a backup, and since I pay for this service there is little chance of them going away. I also have them host my domain name, so that will never change.

I know nothing about websites, but my wife does, so at the end of the week it's, honey.... Can you upload these for me. Something about coding? I just know how to smash rivets and mess up airplane parts.