diamond

Well Known Member
I've read quite a bit on the various models and so it seems the RV-12 boasts the quickest build time, as well as ease of build, etc. But what about a comparison between the 7,8, and 9 models? Is there any significant difference in the following categories between these 3 models?

1) build times (on the average)
2) difficulty and complexity of the build (as per plans without mods)
3) detail and ease of understanding of the plans that come with the kit

Thanks

about the same

I have only been able to research the preview plans of all three. They are pretty much the same except the 9 will have a bit more material due to the longer wingspan and the 8 has a more narrow fuselage, so it will be a bit tighter fit when squeezing in the fuselage area to do work.

fwf and finishing introduces significant variation

the sheet metal work between the three (7, 8, 9) is similar enough and each build shares a pretty common path so reported build times appear to be pretty consistent up to a point... there is significant difference from build to build within model and across models when you get towards the end of the riveting. the engine, panel, avionics, and instruments are only generally guided by the plans (accept for the 12 where everything is closely scripted). the farther afield you go with engine selection the more variation to build time and there are no two panels exactly alike...

times

The 12 does not compare to the 7,8,9. You get a different airplane at the end, totaly.

I prefer the 8, as a build, because I can build the canopy without any help. A 7/9 canopy would be tough to handle alone. The 8 rudder is a lot easer to build than the 7/9. The 9 ailerons and flaps have different trailing edges, more flustration there too. The center line seating is my preference too. Notice not the best,,, just my preference.
I do not like nose rollers as a build, because there are more intersection farings to do. Trigears are more work, in other parts as well.

Build an RV8, mags, Hartzell, 180 carb, and you will have a good performer in a short time.

Last edited:
Don't let it dictate what you build.

There are significant differences in the end product. Make sure you build the airplane you want first. They are all a huge commitment in time and money so you want to be happy in the end.

More alike than not

I've built a '9 and a '8. An the '9 has a '7 fuse and the '8 has a '7 wing, so I guess I've built a '7 too sortof.:D

They're really almost completely alike as far as the build process. Minor variations at best.

Flying is another matter!