SimonW

I'm New Here
Hello All,
I'm an RV-7 builder down here in Sydney Australia. I'm currently working on the empennage and have decided to go with the Quick Build wings and fuselage.

My question - once the QB wings and fuselage arrive roughly how many hours are required to get to the stage where I need to have the finishing kit on hand?

To give you some background I'm trying to decide whether to ship the QB wings/QB fuselage and Finishing Kit all in one go or just the QB wings/QB fuselage and delay the purchase of the Finishing Kit until I really need it. This is in an attempt to spread out the costs a bit. I'm a sloooooow builder - so while 200 hours may seem like a blink of an eye to some folk that probably translates into 12 months for me.

Thanks in Advance (and apologies if this question has already been answered and I'm just too dumb to find the right search keywords). :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Simon Williams
RV-7
Sydney, Australia.

QB times

Good Morning Simon
I got my emp kit in late Dec, just before Christmas and my qb wings and fues in late Jan. I put roughly 10-15 hrs a week in, often with a helper. I am now finished until the finish kit arrives and I get some more supplies.(big plans for oshkosh) Now, that does not mean I am done, but..no sense painting the interior, until the canopy is finished, no sense rivetting down floors until wiring runs are done, no sense finishing glass tips on wings till lighting package is in, no sense closing wings till auto pilot is installed. So, what i am saying is there are hundreds and hundreds or hours of work, but having all the stuff sitting there is a huge help. You will keep busy for a while, but get to the point that you have tons of stuff 80% done and need the master plan and all the parts before you can start "finishing anything"
Just my 2 cents, new at all this too. Good luck.

Hi Simon,

Rick and I are just about the same point in the build process ....he's ahead of me by the canopy frame (a la roll bar). I'm ready to order finish kit also. I have 190hrs on the fuse to this point; I tend to be a slow builder ... lotsa time reading plans to avoid do-overs and replacement mistakes. My pace is generally 30 hrs/month,tho' every now and then I have out-of-town trips really mess up a month. Oh yeah ... my fuse work included mounting the ELT under the baggage floor, which took a fair amount of extra time. Hope that helps. :D

Rupester
N319TE; RV-9A fuse almost done

Hear. hear !

Norman CYYJ said:
For no other reason I would order the entire kit now and save all the shipping costs that are involved.

As an overseas builder I would agree wholeheartedly - IF you have a good idea of your engine specification and want the Van's canopy.
Although there isn't that much in the finish kit it includes the engine mount, canopy and cowling which make it a pretty big box.

Shipping costs can only go up....or it seems that way and if the Aus $ is good value against the US $ and you can afford it now then I would bite the bullet !

Also it's only one payment to that nice man from Customs.....and some countries customs require payment on the shipping as well as the goods :eek:

The finish kit box is the one on the top of the fuselage QB box.

And here is a peek inside the finish kit box.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
There are many items in the finishing kit that can be installed during early stages of building a QB. I got the FWF kit and Finishing kit right away when I picked up the QB kit at Van's. Well worth having it all on hand. Being you are overseas, it makes even more sense.

Roberta