ksauce

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello all,

I'm new around here and have a bit of a problem. I'm pretty well set on building an RV, but I literally have no space to call my own. I work for Cirque du Soleil, and am constantly on the road. Fortunately, we keep a fairly complete workshop with us. All I would need are the actual sheet metal tools. Storage, as you can imagine, is the problem. How would it be to securely store the completed parts in a box truck? How big of a box truck would I need? I know I couldn't assemble the whole thing, but I think I could store the fuselage and wings if and when I ever get that far. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Kevin

space

your situation makes me ashamed of my inability to better manage my shop, which never has enough room. mostly, it comes down to my inability to efficiently utilize what I have. another story. anyway, your situation is quite interesting. it would seem that you'd be ok with the emp and surfaces, but what would you do when it came time for wings? remember that it doesn't take all that long to make the tail planes, and you'd be looking at how to build the wings fairly soon. if you had one of those nice great dane 48' van trailers to yourself, you'd be golden. but how to manage the wings and fus seem to be a bit of a challenge.

trailer building

I build all the major RV-7A components with my brother in a one car garage, approx 12'X21' with 2 eaa benches along one wall. If you can get a longer trailer to put the benches farther back and perhaps store the wings one above the other one one wall at the back of the tailer then I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. It takes planning and good work habits but you could build in a long trailer without a problem.

small storage space

ksauce said:
...How would it be to securely store the completed parts in a box truck? How big of a box truck would I need? I know I couldn't assemble the whole thing, but I think I could store the fuselage and wings if and when I ever get that far. Thoughts?
There is a guy not far from me building a small aircraft (not an RV) in a 22ft sea container. It's not moving, tho. I have a feeling you could do it, but you may not want to build an RV-10. If you start with the tail kit, and see how that goes, I'm sure things will become clearer. If you decide that there is just not enough space, you can always sell the tail kit for just about what you paid for it. Almost no risk, unless you accidentally damage the tail kit after you've finished.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Thanks for all the thoughts. I think I'll have a go at the tail. Speaking of the tail, I think I'd be better off having to build as few jigs/fixtures as possible. I've read somewhere that the -9 doesn't require jigs whereas the -7 does. Is this the case?

Kevin

Jigs

ksauce said:
...I think I'd be better off having to build as few jigs/fixtures as possible. I've read somewhere that the -9 doesn't require jigs whereas the -7 does. Is this the case?
No, you won't need jigs for the 7, 8, 9, or 10. I'm not sure if they've gone back and redone the tails for the 3 and the 4.