dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
I just began rivetting last evening on my 10 empennage. Never done this before so right now it is stressful. I anticipate the stress will fade with time. I buggered a machine countersunk hole. (Page 6-5, figure 2 front spar doubler to front spar) The shop end of my 426 rivet bent over. After removal the hole is probably 5/32 ( instead of the intended 1/8) and slightly oval. I suspect I need a 5/32 rivet and size the hole appropriately. Or something I have read about on this site I think it was called a cheater rivet? Suggestions? Does Van's have these cheater rivets? Also the drilled out rivets I suspect will need to be replaced in time as I continue the kit. Do the kits come with extra rivets or do I purchase small quanitities to replace those I destroyed?

If this is your first riveting experience I recommend taking some scrap and practicing first. Practice removing them, too.

Vans calls them "opps" rivets and stocks at least the ones intended to replace 3/32 mistakes. They have the head of an -3 rivet but their shank is one size up, 1/8".

I think the area you are talking about will never be seen, so going one size up, to a -5, would seem right. It will take more force to drive, practice on some scrap first. BUT:

I would suggest you call or email Vans anytime there is a question about critical structure, like a spar. Get their advice.

Yes, buy an assortment of extra rivets. You make mistakes, you drop them and they get lost, etc.

Dennis...

They're called "oops" rivets from Vans.

I doubt there is an RV out there without some "******ed holes", especially after drilling out. You will gain a practical attitude of when requires a larger or oops rivet, or just requires another rivet (they do expand as they are set).

Above all walk away for an hour / evening, or do something less. When you come back to it the problem will not seem so bad / stressful ;)