Tram

Well Known Member
Spiders, I'm sick of them.

I'm thinking about soaking the perimeter of our hangar with some bug spray.

Am I wasting my time?

I had the same problem: Spiders nesting all over the shop, pooping on everything, leaving cocoons everywhere -- AND scorpions inside the house walking around like the owned the place. :mad:.

I found that the typical 'home depot' bug spray (Home Defense, etc.) won't kill most spiders or scorpions, and I just hate the idea of paying someone a monthly fee to come spray.

So, after some googling, I found this:

http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/Product/Cyper-WP-Cypermethrin

I now use it at home and in the hangar every 3 months or so, and now I find all kinds of dead spiders and few scorpions every once in a while.

It's around $36 per pound, and one pound will probably last 1-2 years for the house/hangar.

Good Luck!

Luis

Will the spray harm plexiglas?

I once ruined a compass by spraying an enclosed sailboat cockpit while at anchor. When I got up in the morning, found the clear acrylic face had fogged over. Just be aware of what you're using, and cover the canopy so no fog or mist gets on it.
Terry

Black Widows = Cy-Kick CS

I had the same problem, and did research for killing Black Widows. Spiders, like Scorpions, don't clean themselves like most bugs, so the majority, if not all of the products at the big-box stores just won't cut it. In my research, I kept getting pointed to the industry's "CY-Kick CS". It is NOT available at the big-box stores, and you have to go direct to the supply houses that the commercial bug spray companies buy from, or you can get it at a few places on line. I purchased it here: http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/cykick-cs-p-250.html. It says "Not for sale to NY, PR or CT".

When sprayed, Cy-Kick CS creates a thick barrier of microcapsules that is impossible for insects to cross without being exposed to a lethal dose of insecticide. Exposed insects pick up microcapsules on their hairs and body triggering a rapid release of the active ingredient, resulting in death. Cy-kick’s active ingredient Cyfluthrin is a pyrethrin, which means it is user-safe, environment friendly, and less likely to cause skin irritation than other active ingredients. Cy-kick CS is virtually odorless, and will not create a visible residue or stain when used according to the recommended label rate.

I spray the hangar every 4 months and I have NEVER seen a live insect or spider in my hangar (that includes black widows and 3 dead scorpions!), and because of the dry microcapsules, it lasts longer then any other chemical.

Funny thing is, 2 months after I started using this product last year, I noticed my pest control company for my residence switched to Cy-Kick CS as well. They were a bit upset when I showed them my bottle and tried to tell you it can't be purchased without a pest control license. :D Cool stuff!

Last edited:
Believe it or not, the best defense we have found against spiders is geckos. we were turned on to them by my wife's uncle who's house is on a lake. They had a horrible problem with spiders and turned loose around 25 or so around their house. Since then, they have had no more spider problems.

I purchased 25 when we moved into our new home 8 years ago and have never even seen a spider in or around the house. We ordered them over the phone from a company called Thibodaux live supply (985) 446-5929. They mailed them to us in a box and we turned them loose. It cost about $30 total and best of all we don't have to spray any pesticides.

DSC01131.jpg

DSC05858.jpg

Last edited:
Believe it or not, the best defense we have found against spiders is geckos ....

Aside from the obvious question about whether these geckos speak with a British accent and try to sell you insurance all the time, what about the ... umm ... "byproducts" of the geckos? I mean, they have to leave behind waste products much larger than that of the offending bugs, no?

Just curious. :D

Geckos

No they are totally benign and harmless...very helpful with insects. PLUS...if you see geckos, there haven't been any snakes around lately. If they start to disappear...pay attention.

Aside from the obvious question about whether these geckos speak with a British accent and try to sell you insurance all the time, what about the ... umm ... "byproducts" of the geckos? I mean, they have to leave behind waste products much larger than that of the offending bugs, no?

We have never seen any "evidence" left by them.

Geckos huh? Do you feed them other than the bugs? I'm sure mine would disappear/ die over the winter in the hangar since it is not temp controlled, but they may work in the house..

You might be surprised at how resilient that are. Ours disappear (hibernate) every winter and are right back when it warms back up.

You might be surprised at how resilient that are. Ours disappear (hibernate) every winter and are right back when it warms back up.

Is your hangar climate controlled? I'm wondering how we'd manage to keep them in the hangar, I guess they may just setup shop?

Geckcos

Is your hangar climate controlled? I'm wondering how we'd manage to keep them in the hangar, I guess they may just setup shop?

Jeff,
You just let them loose outside the hanger, not inside. Here in SE Florida, they are everywhere. They really like the bushes in my front yard. In the evening, they always seem to be clinging to screens on my front porch. I think they are attracted by the bugs that come to the light there.
If you want to ensure that they thrive, you might consider making some sort of water source for them. FYI, Gecko doo doo looks like miniature bird droppings.
Charlie Kuss

Last edited:
I In my research, I kept getting pointed to the industry's "CY-Kick CS". ... I purchased it here: http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/cykick-cs-p-250.html. It says "Not for sale to NY, PR or CT".

I'll second the Cy-kick CS. It is a bit pricey, but it will pay for itself after about two or three applications, depending on bug guy prices in your area. We use it at home and are VERY happy with it. We also bought from domyownpestcontrol.com.

One word of caution: it is HIGHLY TOXIC to fish, so be aware of your runoff and keep it away from fish ponds.

Just picked up some Cy-Kick. Maybe it'll atleast kill the spiders food source and make the spiders go elsewhere.

The obvious question here is why would anyone think that geckos speak with a British accent? Am I missing something?

Just curious, don't you know.

The obvious question here is why would anyone think that geckos speak with a British accent? Am I missing something?

There is an insurance company that uses a talking gecko as a spokesman in their television commercials. The gecko in the commercial has a British accent.

That brings up a question.

This is totally off topic, but hey we got to know.... Does Geico Insurance Co advertise in England? If so, what accent does the gecko have? Australian maybe?:confused:

I collected geckos while stationed in Vietnam. They kept my hooch bug free. Love the little guys!

After the two recommendations saying their product killed spiders and scorpions: Cypermethrin and Cy-Kick-CS, I decided to give one a try as well. Found them both on e-bay. They have different ingredients, but similar priced. Figured I would try Cy-Kick-CS first.

I’ve been using Spectracide for many years that you can get at Walmart, Lowes and other places. It works great for killing just about anything, with the exception of scorpions and spiders. It will kill them if sprayed directly. For most other insects I spray mostly around my doorway areas, and it's amazing how it will keep on killing insects walking on the area that has already been sprayed months earlier. Container says it works up to nine months now too, which I think is about right.

Anyway, looking forward to getting the Cy-Kick-CS. Spiders have kind of gotten out of control here lately.

Hi Bob and Smokey,

The answer is that there are no geckos on British tv. Apart from Gordon that is on old movie reruns.

After the two recommendations saying their product killed spiders and scorpions: Cypermethrin and Cy-Kick-CS, I decided to give one a try as well. Found them both on e-bay. They have different ingredients, but similar priced. Figured I would try Cy-Kick-CS first.

The pest control company at my residence used Cyper for the past 2 years before switching over to Cy-Kick-CS. The tech claims Cy-Kick-CS works a bit better since it's dry until the microcapsules break open. Let me know what you think of it. I don't know if insects can grow immune to something, so switching off between bottles might be a good idea. I can tell you I love opening the hangar door and counting the dead black widows!!

Geico TV ads

Anthony,
You wouldn't be expected to "get it". We are referring to a very popular series of US TV advertisements. To "get it", see

http://www.geico.com/about/corporate/word-from-sponsor/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acCfnwTpdxU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip5VOv92bC8&feature=related

Charlie Kuss