chrispratt

Well Known Member
I've just moved to my new hangar at 52F (home to Van's Air Force dot net) and it became immediately apparent that in addition to RVs, other flying things love the area.

To prevent my RV from becoming the victim of an infamous mud dauber kamikaze squadron, I devised a simple solution for covering the fuel vents while hopefully preventing me from inadvertently leaving the protectors in place during flight.

I already have inlet plugs from Bruce's Custom Covers to plug the major entry holes. So I ordered a couple of Van's pitot tube covers, drilled a hole in the closed end section of each cover and joined them with some nylon cord. I then connected that cord with another short piece of cord that joins to the existing plug covers. The idea being that when I pull the plugs on the inlet covers, I'll also be pulling the fuel vent covers off. So far it works.

The existing covers are shown at the bottom of the picture and the new fuel vent covers at the top. Click to enlarge the view.

Here's a view of the plugs in place on the fuel vent lines:

And here's the whole shooting match.

I hope this helps someone else out as well.

Chris

To prevent my RV from becoming the victim of an infamous mud dauber kamikaze squadron, I devised a simple solution for covering the fuel vents while hopefully preventing me from inadvertently leaving the protectors in place during flight.

Chris

Chris, Vans drawings call for a mesh screen over the fuel vents. Do you believe that the "mud daubers" can get through your screen.

I'm also inclined to suspect that there would be fuel vapours coming from the fuel vents....and I'm imagining that no insect would like that environment.

Have you previously actually had a mud dauber problem in that location or do you know of some-one who has.

I'm not familiar with "mud daubers" so just asking the question.

definition

Yeah, we live in the same country, but occasionally we have no idea what our countrymen are speaking about.

I believe Chris is referring to wasps, or yellow jackets that build nests using something that looks like mud. Needless to say if they build nests in the wrong place it can be dangerous.

Hey Chris, you do you keep them from building nests in other parts of the plane. In my old Cessna I discovered while flying one day that they had built a nest under the instrument panel! That was entertaining. That same summer one of my partners left the pitot cover off and I lost airspeed shortly after takeoff.

They are annoying and dangerous little critters.

no way

I beg to differ with this statement from Wikipedia:

"Mud daubers are rarely aggressive."

Apparently the author has never run over one of their nests with a lawn mower, or encountered them in an enclosed cockpit at 3000 feet.

Last edited:

Bob, I never knew what they were until I moved to Texas either - now I'm pretty familiar. They can build a mud dam in the time it takes to go get a sandwich! I caught one crawling out of the fuel vent on my Grumman years ago - made me a believer in the "Toro Lawn Sprinkler Filter fix". On the RV, I use vent covers made from a piece of fuel line and a drilled-head bolt with RBF flags on them.

Paul

2 different beast

Yeah, we live in the same country, but occasionally we have no idea what our countrymen are speaking about.

I believe Chris is referring to wasps, or yellow jackets that build nests using something that looks like mud. Needless to say if they build nests in the wrong place it can be dangerous.

Hey Chris, you do you keep them from building nests in other parts of the plane. In my old Cessna I discovered while flying one day that they had built a nest under the instrument panel! That was entertaining. That same summer one of my partners left the pitot cover off and I lost airspeed shortly after takeoff.

The one you run over with a lawn mower are yellow jackets and often have a burrow in the ground. The ones that build little mud houses are mud daubers and they build them darn near anywhere they can on some type of structure above ground. Esp on the eves of your house.

Both are wasps and the yellow jackets have a mean streak. Esp if you run over them with a lawnmower.

For those that don't know what he is talking about, imagine grabbing a handful of soft clay and throwing it at anything it can stick to. Make sure it is well pushed on and polk a little hole in it. The vent line is a perfect starting point. They won't go up in the line, they'll just use it as a great starting point and fill the first inch up with mother earth that resembles a concrete plug.

I've had to clear mud nests out from under cowls because the mud can be around anything. One of the guys at the airport had to call an exterminator because he had a large lovely red wasp nest under his and got the pooh stung out of him when he went to check the oil.

This leads me to a good question. Is there anything we could put inside the cowl as a deterrent to wasp building nest inside the cowl?

mud daubers....

One of my friends is a dry wall hanger. His email address is: "muddauber@".....
He thought he was being clever!

I don't know about them not being aggressive. I was getting some tools out of the rear hatch of my Jeep when one came steaming out from under the vehicle and stung me twice on the arm. One happened to hit a surface vein and it stung like a rattlesnake bite. Swelled up quite a bit.:mad:

Have you previously actually had a mud dauber problem in that location or do you know of some-one who has.

Bob:

As you can read in some of the other replies, you are lucky if you don't have to deal with these little buggers. Around here they are mostly wasps and yellow jackets. They seem to love small spaces -- like vent lines and pitot tubes -- and can build in a hurry. Having heard a few horror stories about people seeing their fuel tanks (in our case the leading edge of the wing) suddenly collapse in on themselves due to clogged vent lines, I wanted to take action. Oddly, I never had the problem at Addison which is only 20 miles away.

I don't recall Van's "screen" direction but I suspect it wouldn't work as well as completely blocking the ports. Of course you must unblock them before flying. To make matters worse, I think the wasps love the color red. Just my opinion, but I stopped wearing red shirts while doing yard work after having been stung a couple of times years ago. Maybe the red made me look like a big, beautiful flower blossom :D

It's always something, right?

Chris

Antony:

Haven't figured out how to keep them out of everything. If you have any ideas please let me know. One flew into the cockpit the other day while I was taxiing out. I shooed him away, but the thought followed me the whole flight, "Did I really get that guy out of here?"

Chris

In Georgia, they are dirt daubers.

They are black and won't sting you like a red wasp.

I keep a bug zapper running in the hanger all the time. It seems to work.

Also.

you can keep a shallow pan of water with your favorite bug killer concentrate disolved in it handy.

The little varmits need water to build with and if there is DDT laced water handy they will use it and die.

Moth Balls

I'm from the south to. We hang mesh bags of moth balls around the hangar and it seems to help a bunch with mud daubers and those airport mosquito's that sound like helicopters.

The one you run over with a lawn mower are yellow jackets and often have a burrow in the ground. The ones that build little mud houses are mud daubers and they build them darn near anywhere they can on some type of structure above ground. Esp on the eves of your house.

This leads me to a good question. Is there anything we could put inside the cowl as a deterrent to wasp building nest inside the cowl?

TRY A MOTH BALL........:)
...................GUESS I SHOULD FINISH READING THE THREAD BEFORE I POST.......................

Last edited:
Anti-Insect Vent Covers

Use the large size "Pipe Cleaners" to plug vent lines. They keep the insects out, but don't seal the vent causing a pressure problem. You can get them in a multitude of colors, they're cheap and disposable. Also due to their length, you can bend the outer end to resemble a pennant flag to make it even more visible.

I have been thinking about making plugs for the air inlets.

But I want to know, why not be concerned about the big hole under the cowl where the air come out? Will not birds/insects want to go in there?
Also what about the air vent inlets?

How many holes do I need to plug up?

Kent

Pre-flight inspection

What you are reading is one of the reasons we do a preflight inspection and visually look at vents, static ports, pitot, air intake, and any other place where critters love to call home.

I might have to try the mothball trick.

I've experienced mud dauber nests in the pitot system that were not visible on a preflight. Best to always use a cover.

Wow!!!

I've been stung by a yellow jacket/wasp, :eek: hurts like heck and they don't don't die after stinging like other Bees. I was amazed that Wikipedia actually made reference to the pitot/static system....I never called them Daubers...seems to innocent of a name (reference the lovable assistant coach on TV's Coach) for such nasty Bas#*rds.:mad:

A little explanation on Texas insects.

Wasps are red/orange and sting.
Yellow Jackets are yellow and black and sting.
Mud/dirt daubers are blueish/black and do not sting.