Dan_E_Root

To prepare for DAR inspection, I want to remove improve the appearance of my unpainted craft, so as to make a decent first impression. The NUVITE stuff is too much work, as I don't want to spend that much time polishing a surface that's going to be painted shortly.

What method can you folks recommend to clean up the bird before the inspector arrives? Soap and water of course, and I've got some good stuff for the canopy. Not looking for show quality, just something that I can spend a day with, cleaning her up...have buffer, will travel

If it is going to be painted soon anyway, have you considered scuffing all the shiny stuff---------

Check with your painter, a DA with fine paper, or Scotch Brite pads will make quick work of the aluminum surfaces----------no it wont be shiny all over, but it will be the same all over, and the painter will be much happier with you than if you use a polish or cleaner that has silicone or wax in it.

Mike

To prepare for DAR inspection, I want to remove improve the appearance of my unpainted craft, so as to make a decent first impression.

Your DAR couldn't care less if your plane is shiny! :)

He will be very impressed if all the fasteners are tight, safetied, and proper threads exposed.

Have a great inspection and congratulations on your new plane!

Polishing your aircraft

You have to be careful: Once you begin polishing, and fall in love with the way the airplane looks, you'll want to keep doing it, and eschew any kind of paint.
TN
RV-8 QB (building) To be polished
1955 Cessna 180- Polished, awesome.

Sam is right, your DAR will be looking for workmanship and safety of flight issues, and of course all the little placards. If we looked for "pretty", many aircraft would never pass!

shiny plane

I'm not looking for showtime shiny, just not spotty or scratchy. I want the guy's first impression to be favorable and not "eeewww".

Scratches and scuffs go with the territory. These will all be dealt with when you prep for paint. Like the others said, good rivetting, bolting and general workmanship is what inspectors look for.

Roberta

Don't get me started!

Tom Navar said:
You have to be careful: Once you begin polishing, and fall in love with the way the airplane looks, you'll want to keep doing it, and eschew any kind of paint.

Well, you're certainly right about polishing. I tried a bit of generic metal polish on a couple of spots. Before I caught myself, I'd polished from the firewall to the panel, and a good chunk of one wing.

Clean first

Before you do anything with an abrasive, clean thoroughly with a degreaser, then wipe down with cloth dampened with lacquer thinner or acetone. Be careful around the canopy.

If you start sanding for Scotch Brighting before cleaning you can grind contaminates into the surface possibly causing issues later.

Tom Navar said:
TN
RV-8 QB (building) To be polished
1955 Cessna 180- Polished, awesome.
I would never be one to advocate entering into the polishing madness. But for those of you that might consider it, here is Tom's big engine, vintage, Cessna 180, at Dell City, Texas.

Not too bad! And it has a B-17 clock.

DSC01549.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, Lord, what's wrong with me? I can look at that picture all day. Isn't it gorgeous? More and more I find myself pouring through pictures here more thoroughly than a Victoria's Secret catalog (years ago, of course).

If you like the picture of Tom's airplane (thanks Larry!), you should see it in person! I can't wait to see how his RV-8 turns out!

Paul