Buff86wc

I'm New Here
I just bought a rv6a that will require a new engine mount and landing gear. Talked to parts today and was told that they do not have an engine mount for my engine any longer. I have a 0-320-h2da engine. Anyone know where I might shop for this item. I have reached out to tech support also but have not heard anything yet. Thanks for your time.

I just bought a rv6a that will require a new engine mount and landing gear. Talked to parts today and was told that they do not have an engine mount for my engine any longer. I have a 0-320-h2da engine. Anyone know where I might shop for this item. I have reached out to tech support also but have not heard anything yet. Thanks for your time.
I believe this is who makes the mounts for Vans and has been very helpful.
Screen Shot 2024-06-19 at 7.19.30 PM.png

My Drawing 46A Engine/Nose Gear Mount for my RV-9A (tricycle gear) says -6A, -7A, -9A so the original engine mount and gear leg are apparently common between them. The RV-6A manual Drawing 61 shows both a Dyna Focal I and II. I originally mounted mine to my fuselage, but then when Vans came out with the elastomer pivoted nose gear, I bought that so my original mount is surplus to my needs. It appears Vans website still shows engine mounts, go to Store and in the search box enter Engine Mount RV-6A.

I know of another that is converting his 6A to the new elastomer mount prior to mounting his engine. It was conical from my memory and the new ones are DynaFocal. He doesnt have his engine yet so no impact there...

Let me know if you need that one...

My Drawing 46A Engine/Nose Gear Mount for my RV-9A (tricycle gear) says -6A, -7A, -9A so the original engine mount and gear leg are apparently common between them. The RV-6A manual Drawing 61 shows both a Dyna Focal I and II. I originally mounted mine to my fuselage, but then when Vans came out with the elastomer pivoted nose gear, I bought that so my original mount is surplus to my needs. It appears Vans website still shows engine mounts, go to Store and in the search box enter Engine Mount RV-6A.
The person I talked to said yesterday my engine would not fit on the mounts that they use now??? 0-320-H2AD.

The person I talked to said yesterday my engine would not fit on the mounts that they use now??? 0-320-H2AD.
This makes sense. We’re putting an -H2AD engine on our Zenith 801 project and it did not fit the stock Zenith mount. We had to modify the mount with the help of a welder. I believe Vans sells/sold an engine mount to accommodate the H2AD - basically it needs extra clearance at the top. Not sure if it’s currently available or would work for you. The modifications we needed were not difficult for a skilled welder.

Thank you for your time and picture but this is the wrong mount for my engine. Mine has the round holes for the rubber engine mounts.

I have an H2AD in my RV-4. The only difference on the mount for a TW aircraft is the upper cross bar because the H2AD has a unique accessory case. I'm sure Russ McCucheon can advise you, as he built most of them. It would be fairly straightforward to convert a standard mount. There are several 6/6A guys with H2ADs, and maybe someone will chime in if there are issues with the sump, but I doubt it. The bottom of the engine resembles all other O320s. You will have a dipstick location change from the VANs cutout on the upper cowl because it will not line up. I built my baffles because the standard kit while adaptable, aren't going to fit. All standard exhaust systems should fit the H2. See the pics of mine in a -4. I used a Vetterman 4 pipe. I run dual electric fuel pumps and machined the corners of the mechanical pump and governor bosses on the case. I built my engine myself, and it has proven to be a great engine.

Attachments

• 20190710_163845.jpg
    20190710_163845.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20180612_193607.jpg
    20180612_193607.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 20180612_193550.jpg
    20180612_193550.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 20180612_193856.jpg
    20180612_193856.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11
I have an H2AD in my RV-4. The only difference on the mount for a TW aircraft is the upper cross bar because the H2AD has a unique accessory case. I'm sure Russ McCucheon can advise you, as he built most of them. It would be fairly straightforward to convert a standard mount. There are several 6/6A guys with H2ADs, and maybe someone will chime in if there are issues with the sump, but I doubt it. The bottom of the engine resembles all other O320s. You will have a dipstick location change from the VANs cutout on the upper cowl because it will not line up. I built my baffles because the standard kit while adaptable, aren't going to fit. All standard exhaust systems should fit the H2. See the pics of mine in a -4. I used a Vetterman 4 pipe. I run dual electric fuel pumps and machined the corners of the mechanical pump and governor bosses on the case. I built my engine myself, and it has proven to be a great engine.
That is exactly how my mount looks. But I don’t know how to tell the one that it is. Still have not heard from tech support so will be reaching out to them again. Have already sent engine off for inspection.

That is exactly how my mount looks. But I don’t know how to tell the one that it is. Still have not heard from tech support so will be reaching out to them again. Have already sent engine off for inspection.
When I bought my mount/finish kit, the H2AD mount was special order. I believe at some point, they made all of them that way because it had no adverse affect on the other O320 family. Yours may be of that type. Again, Russ McCoucheon would likely answer.

The lady in parts said that it was probably a special order but the man that built them had passed away so I will be getting in touch with Mr McCoucheon today and see if he can help.
Thanks for the info

I've got a 6A with H2AD.
As mentioned above, the top crossbar in the mount needs to be different to fit the H2AD. Way back I sent my mount back to the maker (sorry forgot who!) who modified it. Maybe they all fit now, maybe not, I don't know.

Other issues
- as noted the oil door needs to move.
- the Vetterman exhaust #2 pipe hits the sump - I sent that off and got it modified. Otherwise all the rest fit just fine.
- stock H2AD alternator is too big to fit under the cowling ... typical Plane Power etc. mounting is different ... made custom plate to adapt the alternator to the H2AD

While I was at it... mine now is an IO-320-H2AD

Talked to Mr Russ today and he said he has never built these mounts and could not help me. So I will move on to plan B
Next time I’m at the hangar, I’ll get photos of the roll-your-own mod we made to our Zenith 801 mount. I suspect you’ll need pretty much the same change. Not sure what (if anything) you might need to change for the bottom of the mount.