Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I'm trying to figure out how to drive a rivet on the vertical stabilizer. It is the front most flush rivet on the very tip of the stabilizer, where the stabilizer nose is very narrow. I can't get a bucking bar or a squeezer in to get that rivet. How did you do that?

If you have one of those ground plates for back riveting or a cast iron table saw:

1. put rivet on plate
2. put part over rivet
3. Grind a small 3/8' by 3/8" about a foot long piece of steel stock to fit between the shank to be driven and the small space.
4. put a spacer block of metal at the other end of the stock so it is level.
5. hit the stock with a hammer short of the part and it will drive the rivet

OR

use a pull rivet

MK-319-BS :)

I realized I was probably doing more harm than good trying to buck the forwardmost leading edge rivets.

This is one of those points where the 4" no-hole yoke on a squeezer is definitely worth the price you pay for it. Mine came out looking beautiful!

1001060ce3.jpg

Last edited:
Try Shooting on a Crow Bar

If you have one of those ground plates for back riveting or a cast iron table saw:

1. put rivet on plate
2. put part over rivet
3. Grind a small 3/8' by 3/8" about a foot long piece of steel stock to fit between the shank to be driven and the small space.

I did this same thing, except for step #3, I just used a crow bar. Put the part on your back rivet plate, put the rivet in, put the crow bar on the back of the rivet, then shoot the crow bar just outside of the material. I have had very good results with this method. Hope it works for you.

I have used this method of riveting hard to get places on all the planes that I have built and it works great. No heavy thinking or cussing.

1. put rivet on plate
2. put part over rivet

OR

use a pull rivet