DakotaHawk

Well Known Member
Here's a list of my bucket list places to fly...

Sedona (aircraft carrier landing)
Bar 10 (only airport located below the rim of the Grand Canyon)
Oshkosh (of course)
Alaskan Hiway - preferably all the way to Pt Barrow or anywhere north of the Arctic Circle (gotta check that cabin heat first)
Florida Keys (looking for Jimmy Buffet)
Bahamas (are you reading this Rosie?) Yes I am Scott...but start thinking Antilles 2013 :D
Baja California (seen a lot of sandy beaches
Leadville (highest elevation GA airport in North America)
Johnson Creek (anyone interested in camping?)
Burning Man (I think I may have to limit myself to the family friendly zone)
Alvord Desert (if you can't find this on a sectional, it's because it's not an airport!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Europe

Denmark, where my parents originated, and The Netherlands, where my wife was born and raised. Not sure I'll ever get the nerve to fly that far over open ocean, not to mention the logistics and cost. Still, I can't get it out of my head.

Complete T&Gs in all 50 states. I only have 4 to go. :D

Been to Sedona, and Grand Canyon. Add Los Alamos, NM to your list. Make sure you read the NOTAMs. ;)

Last edited:
Sedona? Carrier Landing? You mean KSEZ?

If you think that's a carrier landing, you should check out 4R9

DauphIsland_4R9_airnav%20176.jpg

Great list.

I especially like the Burning Man thought. I?ve always wondered what it would take to fly there, and what the Burners would think of a bunch of planes showing up.

I?d like to get to every Colorado mountain airport in the next couple of years. I?ve been to Granby and Steamboat Springs this year, and Buena Vista just this Saturday. Buena Vista is about 25 mile south of Leadville.

I also want to get to Durango, Glenwood Springs, Pagosa Springs and Leadville too. Leadville is higher than the rest, but all the others are prettier towns, IMO. Aspen would be great, but it just sounds so GA unfriendly there.

Lake Tahoe is also on the list, plus Page, AZ. and Vegas, Baby.

Think about adding Telluride as a second high altitude carrier landing. There is a landing fee (a few bucks) and they have a big book of parking fees. Parking is different based on each planes length and width. RVs get off pretty easy, although the whole variable price concept is kinda crazy. Telluride is amazing in the summer. It is simply stunning.

I already made the low altitude carrier landing at Meigs, before the wrecked it.

http://alexandallison.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/wilson-114.jpg

I see you have Leadville (the highest elevation GA airport in North America). So why not add Furnace Creek, Death Valley (L06) as the lowest @ -210 ft (-63 m)? You can even do both in the same day.

Courchevel (CVF)

Courchevel (CVF), France, on a nice summer day of course (check it out on YouTube to see why). I have skiied there and watched some landings from the slope that runs above the apron. I don't ever plan to deliberately do anything more difficult than this so I regard it as my ultimate challenge.

You need a special rating and have to have exercised it within the last six months. I believe the landing fee is 100 Euros - no trouble to the Russian oligarchs who have made the resort their own.

On your way to Key West

Scott,

On the way to KEYW, consider adding stops at Cedar Key, KCDK and Everglades City, X01. Great little places for seafood and fun landing.

Great list.

I especially like the Burning Man thought. I?ve always wondered what it would take to fly there, and what the Burners would think of a bunch of planes showing up...

airport_sat.jpg

They'll think you'll fit right in with the many other burners that fly in.

i noticed you had nothing in the NE. so after flying the Hudson River Corridor southbound, head east along the long island shore at 500' checking out the Hamtons and pick a destination, Montauk Point, Block Island, Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket, Province Town, and points east.
ptown.jpg

img1123xk.jpg