dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
I am ready to order the 14, but my wife is concerned with the cabin heat having a bubble canopy. She has baked sometimes in Cessnas and Pipers. What are your experiences with sun bearing down on you through the canopy?:cool:

The Koger shade WILL help but the RV does a better job than Pipers and Cessnas in the heat. 1. Because they go faster and allow better airflow into the cabin vents. 2. Because they climb so well, even in heat, you can reach cooler air fairly quickly.

The Koger shade WILL help but the RV does a better job than Pipers and Cessnas in the heat. 1. Because they go faster and allow better airflow into the cabin vents. 2. Because they climb so well, even in heat, you can reach cooler air fairly quickly.

Absolutely true, especially if you have Stein's large vents .... they'll about blow my hat off if I open them wide. ;)

My experiecne is the same as those just mentioned. The speed, climb ability and better efficiency of the RV air vents produces a more comfortable cockpit temperature than Cessnas and Pipers. I discovered I needed a hat and sunglasses to deal with the brightness of the sun, but didnt feel the need for a sunshade. I like the open feeling of a canopy without the sunshade ... but I have one in case my wife wants it in place (I have the static stick-on type which looks like window tinting but can be moved to any spot on the canopy).

I know for the -9 and -7 you can special order UV A/B resistant canopy plastics material. I did that on my build because I'm fair skinned and prone to skin cancer. If the same place makes the -14 canopies, they should be able to accommodate a special order.

THe other really significant thing is that you can taxi with the tip-up canopy substantially open. Taxiing out in the Bonanza in the summer used to be the worst thing - particularly solo with no one to hold the door open - which didn't help that much anyway. The Koger is just about mandatory for a tip-up and the stick-on sunshades are available at Walmart.

I will have my wife read this thread with me tonight. I am fortunate to have a supportive spouse.:eek: