Rick6a

Well Known Member
Today, Bubba took his very first RV ride. To make his doggie experience enjoyable, I removed the co-pilot's joystick, stayed below 1500'AGL (so as not to hurt his little doggie ears) and reduced RPM's as low as practical. He enjoyed the flight and if he could talk, I'm sure he would say he much prefers Darla to our C-150. If you squint, you can see his doggie RV grin!
bubba287ev.jpg

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla" 93 hours
Bubba, our beloved 3 year old Beagle

Last edited:
We also have a beloved Beagle. My wife and I have often wondered if he could fly with us in the -9A we're building. Maybe even in a little travel crate in the baggage compartment? How does the dog react in the plane? It sounds like you have some experience with this in other planes as well. I'm interested in hearing more.

Beagles [NA]

Pardon the partial hijacking... I'm looking to get a beagle this spring. How are yours? Barking, training, house-breaking, etc? Anything you like or don't like I'd love to hear about. We don't have kids yet, but we'll probably have them in the lifetime of whatever dog we get so kid compatibility is important. PM me. Thanks! And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

scard said:
We also have a beloved Beagle. My wife and I have often wondered if he could fly with us in the -9A we're building. Maybe even in a little travel crate in the baggage compartment? How does the dog react in the plane? It sounds like you have some experience with this in other planes as well. I'm interested in hearing more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

........... I'm looking to get a beagle this spring. How are yours? Barking, training, house-breaking, etc? Anything you like or don't like I'd love to hear about. We don't have kids yet, but we'll probably have them in the lifetime of whatever dog we get so kid compatibility is important.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have taken Bubba for many airplane rides in the past, in our C-150. I'm certainly no expert but I thought his very first ride should be very short...just around the pattern so he could get used to the sensations. He was a bit uncomfortable at first but with reassurance got over it quickly. Days later, another ride a little longer duration, and so on. He got used to the C-150 in short order. I was concerned about his first RV ride (and I don't want to start any flame wars here) because of his unfamiliarity with it and my RV cockpit without any insulation has a higher ambient noise level than the 150. He handled it just fine. As for Beagles...what can I say? I've always been a fan. They are inherently sweet tempered, very intelligent and love children. Housebreaking was "relatively" painless but as for barking...well...Beagles do have a lot to say. The neighborhood kids often knock on our door and ask..."Can Bubba come out and play?" As you can see, like any proud parent, I just had to share a picture of Bubba with you. He is after all....family.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

As the bumper sticker says... Dog is my Copilot

Very cool post Rick... Bubba looks like he's havin a great time. Dogs and airplanes (RVs), both are sure to put a smile on your face.

We have 1-1/2 year old yellow lab named Sonoma that I would love to some day take flying with me. I am hoping by the time I am flying she will have mellowed and be ready for the cockpit, assuming I can figure out how to get a 65 lbs dog in and out.

On a related note, my wife teases me about treating the dog better than I treat her (no comment). I recently said to her, "When this thing is finished and flying, I am putting your name on the side." Her only response was, "Will my name be going above or below Sonoma's?" :D

Hmm...guess there's something about RV builders and Beagles.

Here's our Beagle, Toby.

2005-03-12.553.jpeg

He comes out to the garage often to help with the project. He's actually pretty good company. As mentioned above, Toby LOVES children. Well, he really loves ANYONE and will freak out (in a good way) at the mere sight of a stranger.

Toby was bred to be a hunter and it shows. He's got more energy than we know what to do with. Everyone said he would calm down at 2, but he's going on three now and there's no sign of him calming at all. Sadly the rest of his litter were killed after they escaped from their owner's (a hunter) pin and some redneck shot all 4 of 'em with a shotgon for being on his property.

As Rick mentioned above, Beagles (at least ours) are extremely intelligent. He knows all sort of words and responds to them.

As far as traveling with him in your RV, mine isn't done yet but Toby has traveled with me in a Skyhawk. I got some sedative from the vet that's generally used for airline travel and it knocked him right out...he slept the whole way.

Also, I remember a while back I saw a story about a guy that travels with his dog (could have been on Doug's site) and they had some special hearing protection made that slipped right over the dogs ears. Looked something like a collegiate wrestling headgear.

That is a cool photo of Bubba!

My wife is a Vet and she knows Torque, our English Bulldog, is going to ride with us when the -9 is finished. Her only requirement is that we make him some kind of hearing protection like he wore when he helped me do some riveting.

click to enlarge

His is also very good with engine overhauls. :D

click to enlarge

Last edited by a moderator:
I represent that remark

The jerk that shot the dogs is just an everyday a$$#*%#! The REDNECKS I know(many of whom fly) are dog lovers who would find the owners and get the dogs back to them. If unable to do that they would make an effort to get the dogs new homes.

So far, Watson's favorite building activity is when a new crate comes from Vans with mountains of paper. There is nothing more fun than spending an hour ripping up all that paper. Definitely don't get a beagle if you can't handle a dog that howls in the back yard at passing neighbors. They're totally trainable. Watson runs agility competition with Tanya and is super fast. Oh, yeah, can't forget that he is the best lap warmer on the couch for a movie in the evening after a long day building. And when he does something that you don't like, the floppy ears and cute face will save him every time.

watson_paper.jpg

watson_sleeping.jpg

Not a beagle, but still a future RV rider...

here's my future passenger (besides my wife)-

9-17-05-032w.jpg

2 1/2 year old golden retriever named wiley (named after wiley post!)
:D

Last edited:
Haven't flown with a dog, but please do so with care

Just a thought on the dogs in planes thing. I really agree with Rick's comment about removing the co-pilot stick. Another thing I would do would be to put the dog in a full chest harness and figure a way to secure him into the seat. That way he'd be less likely to intrude on the pilot's space and would not become a projectile in case of a mishap.

I got an e-mail link to this Video quite some time ago. Thought it would be appropriate here - pretty funny, but I wouldnt do it to any pup of mine.

parashak said:
...Another thing I would do would be to put the dog in a full chest harness and figure a way to secure him into the seat. That way he'd be less likely to intrude on the pilot's space and would not become a projectile in case of a mishap.

There are commercially available harnesses for this sort of thing designed for automobiles. It would probably be pretty easy to install some sort of anchor for the dogs. I'll probably do something like this in the baggage area for my dog.

See here.

OH!

A doggie thread! Here is a pic of my little goober/helper!

DSCN0926.jpg

He is a 2 year old Aussie Shep and has yet to fly in a plane. I need to change that soon.

He came from Propwash Kennels in New Hampshire. They have a grass strip right on the premises!

:D CJ

My Future Co-Pilot

This is my future co-pilot, Amber. She was a stray who ventrured to my doorstep on Memorial Day this year. I search for several days for someone missing a dog, posted signs, and even walked her around the neighborhood asking if anyone knew her. Nope. So she became mine, and has been a great dog. My one concern with flying with her is her behavior towards riding in a car. She will jump into any open car door. She luuuuuvvvs to go for rides. Of course in this pic, there were no open car doors; she was supervising me working on the Horizontal Stab. :p

img00523rh.jpg

Jack Holland's dog, Razzle:

Jjack_hollands_dog_Razzle.jpg

Hi Jack!

I just HAD to post this pic of Razzle for ya! I LOVE IT!

He looks so much like my dog Wyatt, my wife asked when I had Wyatt in a plane!

;) CJ

I got him posted at www.rivetbangers.com in that gallery.

Dogs are cool! He is a great companion out there in the shop! He walks around, gets in my way, lets me know if anyone pulls up and drinks beer with us!

He likes Pale Ales!!!

:p CJ

Our Boy Digger

This is our Boy Digger, an Australian Shepherd, who has not flown yet but we believe he is anxious to do so. Here he is helping fab a piece on the wing.

Suzie, an ACD, just watches and chases the bugs that invade the "shop" when I work at night with the garage doors open.

diggerinshop5qb.jpg

Steven L Hild
La Vernia, TX
Center Fuse

For those of you who actually take your dog flying, do you do anything for hearing protection for your dog.

Pete DeCraene

One dog power (DP)

Hey... if we're going to have dogs, put them to work. In particular, put them to work on the airplane.

Here's an example of the 'Smudge', a Siberian Snow-Snorffelling Squirrel Hound towing my fuselage to the paint shop.

Vern Little

124_2482_1.jpg