andrew phillips

Well Known Member
Help! I just broke my tap in the tie down hole (QB wings). I tried drilling out the broken piece (so I could use an extractor) but the steel is so hard that my drill bits just do not penetrate. What the trick? Hopefully there is one.

Thanks,

Andrew Phillips

How flat is the end of the break? Maybe one of those "screw out" tools for stripped screw heads ... although they might not bite in the hard steel either.

You could remove the tiedown and flip it over ... not sure how the bolt holes would line up then...

Thomas

follow up

the way the tap broke is as jagged as can be! because the wings are QB they are essentially finished so taking out this piece will be a real nightmare. I was hoping someone would know of some kind of drill bit or technique that will allow me to drill it out.

Andrew Phillips

You may need to find someone with a portable EDM machine. I used to work in a machine shop. We did lots of threading and broke a few taps. EDM will disolve the tap without damaging the work piece. When tapping aluminum, be sure the tap is sharp. I use plenty of WD-40 for lubricant and back the tap often to clean chips from the thread being made. If the tap tries to bind in the hole do not try to force it.

Pliers?

Any chance of getting a pair of needle nose pliers in there to grab the "web" of the tap?

gil in Tucson

Easy!

Step #1: STOP trying to drill it out. There is no way you're ever going to drill into the tap. I know someone will chime in and say they've done it and it's no big deal but ignore them....give it up

Step #2: Go to your local machine shop, ebay or wherever, beg, borrow, buy, steal a tap extractor. These are designed to fit into the flutes of the tap and will allow you to remove it NO PROBLEM

Step #3: Follow the instructions and be more careful next time :D

Possibility

Would it be possible to drill out the entire bracket and replace? Just a thought.

That happened to me, too. Just bite the bullet and pull the tank off and replace the tie down. Removing the tank is really no big deal.

Next time be sure to drill the hole out with the proper size drill and tap using an approve AL tapping oil. Don't risk any more damage by trying to "dig" the old one out. Chances are the hole will be buggered up and won't tap properly, anyway.

Tap your new one before installing so you get the feel of tapping it. That way you won't wreck the other one.

Roberta
Been there, done that!

Tap extractor, tap extrator, tap extractor - easy fix. When you begin re-tapping use plenty of lube. Also, don't go more than 1/2 turn before you back up and clear the threads. Aluminum strain hardens very quickly when it is worked. When you try to tap without backing up and clearing, you're packing very hard material all along the cutting surface.

A tap extractor will work to remove the broken tap. When you get ready to try again, remember: 5/16" tap drill first, plain old kerosene is an excellent lubricant for tapping aluminum, 1/4 turn forward, half turn back to clear the chips. If you feel like your having to twist too hard, something is wrong!

this is the way

jcoloccia said:
Step #2: Go to your local machine shop, ebay or wherever, beg, borrow, buy, steal a tap extractor. These are designed to fit into the flutes of the tap and will allow you to remove it NO PROBLEM
this would be my method.

In the future use a spiral fluted tap and not a straight fluted one. Spiral ones cut much better and are less prone to binding and breaking. Most hardware stores carry straight fluted only, but you can order spirals over the internet easily and cheap.

On my 8 wing, the whole tie down plate comes right out. You should be able to reach in through the inspection plate hole, remove the 4 bolts that mount the tie down and lift it right out. Plate nuts are on the backside that the bolts screw into. That way you can get it out of the plane to work on it or order a new one from Van's. If you get a new one, use the old one to pattern the holes for the bolts.
Mike
8S/B
Fusealage

Buggered Threads

After you use the tap extractor, if you determine that you mangled the threads you can install a helicoil.

THANKS EVERYONE

I got the broken tap out with the tap extractor from NEWMAN tools (check them out, they have great stuff). Thanks for all the input from everyone, I will go back now and do it right!

Andrew Phillips