RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
After 18+ years and 3,061 hours of use, I have a broken engine control cable. I have never seen one of these break like this before. No there are no sharp bends. This is one of three similar cables that are mounted side by side and follow the same curve (bend radius) down to the lower firewall where they continue forward.

2015-12-31%2015.57.52_zpsmzrkemup.jpg

Thank you Aircraft Spruce for advertising on VAF and having my replacement ready to ship a few hours after it broke.

After 1,000 hours over 15 years, I had one of the green ones Van's supplies get "sticky" last weekend. It felt like there was an over-center situation going on in the control linkage. Well, there wasn't, but the sheath was cracked on my throttle cable, so I'm replacing both the throttle and mixture cables with new ones.

On mine, I've been keenly aware that the bend where the cables turn towards the carb are sharper than I'd like, but I haven't found a better solution. Therefore I keep a close eye on them. They were fine the last time I had the cowl off, probably in September.

The bottom line is that every part on an airplane is critical, so pay attention!

Last edited: