mikemiddlebro

I'm New Here
Hi all, I was dimpling my RV-10 rudder today and... Crack! The solid metal of the leaver arm tore right at the drilled hole of the clamp assembly. Has this happened to anyone else? I sent out an email to Experimental Aero to see if this part is covered under any sort of warranty(?)

I am convinced there must have been a crack in the metal before purchase. I'm no gorilla, and certainly have not been hanging off of the handle to make dimples!

Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Mike Middlebro'
Owen Sound, ON
Flying PA28-140 C-GOXJ
RV-10 emp in progress

Last edited:
Same thing happened to mine. I have a TIG so I just welded it back up and added a little more filler rod to give it a little more strength were needed. Re-drilled the pivot hole and good to go.

Yep

Mine broke. I bought another front end kit. I had owned the DRDT-2 for a couple of years and they discounted the price of the second kit. I was OK with that and have been really happy with the unit. I might have been leaning too hard on the first unit. Not sure.

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking I'll likely have to purchase another front end kit also. Hoping they'll discount a kit for me as well. Exchange rate + shipping to Canada adds significantly to any prices!

If I could post pictures I could show... this is not something I'm able to weld :(

Rivet?

Just wondering if you can set a rivet with the drdt along with dimpling, or is it only used for dimpling?

call Paul

I broke my DRDT-2. You need to replace the part, but email (or better yet, call) Paul. That's what I did, and he explained what I was doing wrong and how to set it up to prevent it breaking again. Excellent customer support.
Bob

What were you doing wrong?

I broke my DRDT-2. You need to replace the part, but email (or better yet, call) Paul. That's what I did, and he explained what I was doing wrong and how to set it up to prevent it breaking again. Excellent customer support.
Bob

ExperimentalalAero Response

As the manufacturer of the DRDT-2 I wanted to address this post.

The DRDT-2 has been in service with builders for over 10 years. There are thousands of builders enjoying the benefits of the tool. Many have been used to build multiple airplanes and are still in service.

0.3% (This isn?t a typo it is point 3 percent) clamp arm have failed that I am aware of. Typically I receive an email from a customer who broke the clamp arm. In all cases I have personally spoken to the customer to determine how the tool was initially setup and how the owner was setting the adjustment for dimpling. In the majority of the cases the customer either didn?t read the manual and just followed the assembly drawing and was improperly setting the ram for dimpling.

The handle of the DRDT-2 is attached to the clamp arm. The clamp arm hits a stop on the clamp base which limits the travel of the handle. Once the tool is setup for dimpling and the clamp stop is reached (hit), any additional pressure on the handle doesn?t apply any additional force on the dimple dies. That is how the tool can dimple so consistently. Once you hit the stop all the dimples are the same. Some tool owners didn?t understand this and applied significant force after hitting the clamp stop, or slammed the handle down until the stop was hit. In fact according to one owner with a broken clamp arm he would put ?all his body weight on the handle after he hit the clamp stop thinking it was helping. Over time the clamp handle broke.

As mentioned in all cases that I am aware of I have remedied the situation by replacing the clamp for free or at my cost depending on the circumstances.
I have spoken with the initial poster and I am shipping a replacement clamp on Monday.

My goal is to keep providing a great tool to help builders build their dream. If there is a problem with the tool I hope the builder will immediately email me so I can get them back building as soon as possible.

For clarification in a previous post: You do not need a replacement DRDT-2 Front End to replace the clamp.

Keep building your dream

As the manufacturer of the DRDT-2 I wanted to address this post.

0.3% (This isn?t a typo it is point 3 percent) clamp arm have failed that I am aware of.

In all cases I have personally spoken to the customer to determine how the tool was initially setup and how the owner was setting the adjustment for dimpling.

As mentioned in all cases that I am aware of I have remedied the situation by replacing the clamp for free or at my cost depending on the circumstances.

I have spoken with the initial poster and I am shipping a replacement clamp on Monday.

My goal is to keep providing a great tool to help builders build their dream.

A few lines taken out of your post---------

Paul, this is the kind of concern and customer service that all manufactures should strive to achieve.

Well done.

Agreed. While I'm just starting out my build. Still waiting on my PlaneTools kit to arrive, including the DRDT-2.

Everything I've heard about it has been great. And to have this level of dedication and service to your product is phenomenal. Can't wait to get to actually use it!

A few lines taken out of your post---------

Paul, this is the kind of concern and customer service that all manufactures should strive to achieve.

Well done.