Brian130

Well Known Member
I was drilling E-714 (counterbalance weight) and the bit broke off in the piece flush with the surface. Any ideas on how to get it out? Drilling from the opposite side didn't work. Do I have to replace the part? :(

Drill a few holes around the bit slowly till you can grip it with needle nose pliers. Easy to fill the holes back up and start over.

Not sure where you are at in your project, but you removed some of the lead or will. Just melt a bit back into to the holes.

Maybe I'm missing something here but why don't you just uncleco the whole thing, drive the bit out of the lead with a punch, cleco it back together and call it a day?

I'll try that. Drilling it out from behind didn't work. I haven't tried a punch yet. It's flush with one side and nowhere near the other. It's actually IN the piece and not protruding from either end.

Follow-up in case anyone searches for a similar problem in the future. The punch worked beatifully. I had thought I might have to heat it up to loosen the lead that had soldered itself to the bits, but the punch drove the bit out, lead soldering and all. Thanks!

Use Boe-Lube on your drill bit when you drill into the lead. I didn;t have any, so I used silicone grease, it worked just as well.