Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I have been working with Mike Thompson to make speed data from four years of racing available to everyone who is interested in it. He has allowed me to facilitate downloads of the information I obtained from the official results posted at the SARL website and collected in Excel format. The data are sorted five ways and one version has a speed rank number for each of the 801 race flights. RVs account for a big part of the rows of race speed data. The data are not displayed at the site. When you click on the desired button the entire related file is downloaded to your computer with no notice whatsoever. On our MAC it just shows up in the Downloads folder. If you click twice you get two copies etc. so be careful - go look after clicking once. If you don't have Excel software this will be of no value to you.

OK here is how you get access:

enter www.sportairrace.org
click on Records and Stats
click on League Statistics

At this point the five download options are available, click on any of them and the associated Excel file is downloaded to your computer. The options are:

- All Race Results
- All Speeds Ranked Fastest to Slowest
- SARL Speeds by Class
- Speeds by Pilot
- Speeds by Aircraft Type

I am still trying to catch errors and fix them so if you see any let me know.

Bob Axsom

Some errors

Boy, it was that close to being minimally acceptable. Big goof - I did not sort the "ranked speed" file. I found two more aircraft type errors and fixed those and sorted all five files and sent them to mike. I will link them correctly once they come up on the site.

If you want to fix your already downloaded files you can edit them to change one Cessna 351 and one Cessna 401 in the 2008 Air Cap race to Cessna 350 and Cessna 400 respectively then define all of the columns in the "ranked" speed file except the first column then sort them by speed. This sort will leave the first column with the header "Speed Rank" and the number series 1 through 801 properly associated with the race flight data rows beginning with the fastest "Legend ... 401.09 mph" and ending with the slowest "Pietenpol ... 72.2 mph".

I should have this fixed tomorrow.

Bob Axsom

Immediate errors fixed

The files are updated and the links are correct. Caution each time you click on
one of the "All Speeds ..." links nothing will show up on the screen but the
entire associated Excel file will be downloaded onto your computer. Once there
you can go to the downloaded file and review it just like any other Excel file
with columns for each data element and and rows for each race flight.

I have also added a temporary file with the download link Temp Record Review.
In this file which is sorted by class then speeds within each class (same as All
Speeds by Class) I have added color codes:

Yellow = Speed Record
Green = Not a speed record
Red = Discrepancy

I intend to document the details of each discrepancy and the resolution. Each
discrepancy will have a unique number and this number may also be used to flag
speed records in a current class that was flown when a different class
identifier applied.

As always report all the errors you see.

Bob Axsom