FAA rules are different...

I guess the FAA and the UK CAA(?) have different ideas on safety...

From the recent WSJ article....

?The FAA said it believed the Los Angeles flight would have violated U.S. aviation regulations, which require most planes to land at the nearest suitable airport after an engine failure. The British crew, however, was flying under United Kingdom regulations, which allow the flight to continue.?

The TV report I heard was that BA had agreed to run under FAA rules for their US flights....

Also in the WSJ story... I guess the replacement engines wasn't that good either....

?British Airways said it flew the empty plane from Manchester to London, and replaced the No. 2 engine, located on the left side closest to the cabin. The plane, registered as G-BNLG, returned to service and flew from London to Singapore. On the return flight, covering 6,765 miles over southern Asia and Europe, the replacement No. 2 engine failed while the jet was at its cruising altitude.?

gil in Tucson ... sticking to US based carriers for my next transatlantic trip.... :)

Last edited:
If he'd made his intended destination, you might argue that all's well that ends well, but he had min fuel and diverted into an airport short of his planned stop. Sounds like he didn't calculate his fuel burn very accurately. Pretty foolish - even if it did save $300K.

Last edited:
Do you feel lucky?

If a professional flight crew wants to assume the risks of continuing 5,000 miles across the USA and the Atlantic Ocean with an engine out, fine with me. It is, however, manifestly unfair to the 350 paying passengers to subject them to these risks. The passengers did not know the facts and most would have no ability to evaluate the risks and give their consent. If they had lost another engine over the Atlantic there is a real possibility they would not have made it back to dry land.

The real fun would have begun if they lost the other engine on the same side. It has been done before but it wasn't pretty. Years ago a 747 lost its cargo door which took out both right engines. I believe they had to land at almost 200kts just to keep the plane flying straight. They should have flown to the east coast (Dulles or JFK) or Chicago, landed fixed the engine and then went on. It would be a complete waste to dump all that fuel and if you had a second engine out you could land any large airport on the way. But taking a higher chance of flying over open water and ice bergs battling adverse yaw with two engines on one side and none on the other is crazy. But again what are the odds that you will lose another engine. I could make an argument for both sides but I would land ASAP.

Lower altitude = more fuel burn

Brian130 said:
If he'd made his intended destination, you might argue that all's well that ends well, but he had min fuel and diverted into an airport short of his planned stop. Sounds like he didn't calculate his fuel burn very accurately. Pretty foolish - even if it did save $300K.

According to a buddy that flies the 747-400 for Northwest, they ran short of fuel because they had to fly at a lower altitude which increased the fuel burn rate. He was not on board with their decision to continue the flight with such an early failure. Lots of time for something additional to go wrong..

A similar event happened to a Hapag-LLoyd airbus a few years ago. It had gear problems in Athens so they ferried it gear-down to Germany for repairs. Or tried to. The lower, slower flight burned way more than expected and they dead-sticked it a couple of hundred miles short of destination.

Brian130 said:

Yes... the full story said they couldn't reach an assigned (planned?) cruise altitude of 36,000 ft, so they flew at 29,000 and used up more fuel... the Manchester stop was a declared fuel emergency.... hey, it was only about 180 miles short.... :)

gil in Tucson

I hope nobody takes this personally, but a bunch of homebuilder's with private pilot licesnses, and a couple of thousand hours (tops) have no place Monday-morning-quaterbacking these guys. You have NO IDEA about all the variables that go into a decision like this. And I absolutely assure you the item on the top of the list of considerations was the passenger's safety.

Leave the second guessing to the media idiots.

Joe

Difference in regulations...

jferraro16 said:
I hope nobody takes this personally, but a bunch of homebuilder's with private pilot licesnses, and a couple of thousand hours (tops) have no place Monday-morning-quaterbacking these guys. You have NO IDEA about all the variables that go into a decision like this. And I absolutely assure you the item on the top of the list of considerations was the passenger's safety.

Joe

Joe... my original posting was to show the difference between UK and US air regulations. I am surprised that there is that much difference that what is deemed "safe" in one country is in violation of our FARs.

The report that the FAA and BA came to an agreement over following US regulations is very interesting, and not armchair quarterbacking. All of the reports have the FAA involved, which is beyond our quarterbacking...

Being from the UK originally, my observations have always put the UK as being more regulated, indeed the locals there tend to call it the "nanny state".

This is a very interesting exception in an area I would not have expected, and is aviation related...

gil in Tucson.... but born in Liverpool, less than 30 miles from the spot the 747 landed at...

jferraro16 said:
I hope nobody takes this personally, but a bunch of homebuilder's with private pilot licesnses, and a couple of thousand hours (tops) have no place Monday-morning-quaterbacking these guys. You have NO IDEA about all the variables that go into a decision like this.
Don't take this personally either - you don't have a clue what any of our backgrounds are. There are guys here with a CFII and thousands of hours in mulitple multi-engine aircraft, military pilots with thousands of hours in high performance aircraft in hostile circumstances, and yes, a few brand new wet-ink single engine private pilots. But pedigrees mean little - "Monday morning quarterbacking" after an incident is the cornerstone of every good air safety program.

Last edited:
Brian--

I see your point, and agree. My point being: none of us was there, none of us have all the info, none of us should judge.

I'm all for "hangar flying", discussing incidents, and learning. But comments like:

"then decides to continue to England anyway. Un-freakin-believable!!"

are in no way constructive, IMO.

I looked at every public profile on this thread before posting, and not one said "BA 747 Captain" under occupation. I did make an assumption--from what I saw--that the average reader on this thread has no idea what an Equal Time Point is, what a circular divert calculaiton is, has never chased through a specific fuel consumption chart or a specific distance chart--especially for a 4 engine jet that weighs over 700K lbs, has never coordinated a "re-release" with dispatch for an oceanic crossing, etc, etc. If you do, good on ya.

So hopefully you can understand my point of view here. Big difference between "learing" and calling somebody out for what you perceive as a mistake.

Joe

jferraro16 said:
But comments like:

"then decides to continue to England anyway. Un-freakin-believable!!"

are in no way constructive, IMO.

I looked at every public profile on this thread before posting, and not one said "BA 747 Captain" under occupation. I did make an assumption--from what I saw--that the average reader on this thread has no idea what an Equal Time Point is, what a circular divert calculaiton is, has never chased through a specific fuel consumption chart or a specific distance chart--especially for a 4 engine jet that weighs over 700K lbs, has never coordinated a "re-release" with dispatch for an oceanic crossing, etc, etc.

Joe

You're right, I have no idea what any of that stuff is nor do I care. What I do know is that taking a jet from LA to England with a non-op engine is more dangerous than putting down somewhere in the US. There is absolutely no way that the crew could be certain of the cause of the failure and to press on over very hostile territory is unnecessarily risky. I'd love to hear exactly how crossing the atlantic with a known failure is putting the safety of the passengers ahead of all else.

Additionally, it has been said on here and in the news reports that the chance of a second engine failing is extremely remote. This is incorrect. People confuse the 'probability of two failures' with 'probability of a second failure, given a first failure'. The latter is the case here, and the chance of the second failure is just as high as the chance of the original failure. This assumes that the failures are independent. If they are not independent the chances of failure go up.

I've never flown an airliner, but I have travelled from L.A. to england in a 747, and I can tell you that once you leave th US you spend the rest of that flight over water and terrain that would mean almost certain death in a forced landing situation. I'm standing by my position that this was a money decision and couldn't have possibly been safety motivated.

Fair enough. You've flown from LA to England (and back I assume? Maybe even a couple of times?) as a passenger, so you're obviously an expert.

I'll gvie you a hint..EVERYTHING the airlines do is a money decision--from the number of olives on the first class salad to the insurance payouts after the 747 attempts a forced landing in Greenland and everybody dies. (BTW, that is what ETP and circular divert calcs are for...forced landing in a 74, that's really funny!)

I retract all my previous posts, and apologize for trying to inject some factual, realworld experience and information into the discussion. :rolleyes:

Back to my fuel tanks--

Joe

jferraro16 said:
Brian--
I looked at every public profile on this thread before posting, and not one said "BA 747 Captain" under occupation. I did make an assumption--from what I saw--that the average reader on this thread has no idea what an Equal Time Point is, what a circular divert calculaiton is, has never chased through a specific fuel consumption chart or a specific distance chart--especially for a 4 engine jet that weighs over 700K lbs, has never coordinated a "re-release" with dispatch for an oceanic crossing, etc, etc. If you do, good on ya.
Joe

Joe,
I didn't list it in my profile since I'm retired, but I have flown the 747-200 and the 747-400. Yeah, I know what an ETP is and I'd say he was a little short of it when he decided to continue. A re-release with dispatch for an oceanic crossing was literally hours away and of no consequence. In ground school we used to muse over which engine was the least important and I'll admit the number 2 is probably it.
If you can't get to your filed altitude (a tough proposition with only three burnin') then it's obvious that your fuel plan is blown. Now I don't know about BA, but my airline never gave me an gallon more than the minimum (unless it was real cheap at the departure point).
A point I'll admit to is that a "suitable" airport would be one where you could arrive with a weight below the max landing weight. No one wants to dump a jillion gallons of JetA over LAX for an hour or more and still do a max gross landing. I'd say the guy had a reasonable plan until he passed Toronto, Montreal, or New York. Weather is a possible factor in his decision to continue on, but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that BA couldn't find a replacement engine in the three cities and talked him into goin' for it
I'm sure it can't be found now, but ACARS messages can be viewed on the internet - if you know where to look. I'll bet those would make interesting reading...

jferraro16 said:

Joe
As a retired Flight engineer with 5000+ hours on B747's I can tell you that the decision this crew made was not with safety in mind. It would not have happened on my watch.

TSwezey said:
The real fun would have begun if they lost the other engine on the same side. It has been done before but it wasn't pretty. Years ago a 747 lost its cargo door which took out both right engines. I believe they had to land at almost 200kts just to keep the plane flying straight.

That flight out of Honolulu also had wing damage.

Four engine machines generally do quite well on 2 engines although it does involve some pucker time because it happens so rarely. The landing is fast because of Vmc and less than normal flaps. Every crew has a chance to prove they can deal with it during a 6 month simulator check. Same for twin crews on one engine.

Three engines from LA and across the pond - that's pushing it. If the engine had quit up over the artic or half way across, no big deal at all. But if UK rules bless it from LA, so be it. The most hazardous part is the bad press. 99.9% of airline flying is routine and nearly boring. Crossing the water on 3 engines would be interesting.

Most crews fly half a life time and never see an inflight shut down, the engines are so reliable, chances of another quiting are very remote. Crank in a little rudder trim and check the charts for a new power setting. (Call the dispatcher and make sure it is legal to press on) Generally, range is as good on 3 as 4 engines. The only thing that can screw it up is wind at the new altitude, or being mandated to lower than chart altitude due to traffic. (Years ago, USAF guys flew C-130's from the Greenland ice cap radar sites non stop to Texas by shutting down 2 of 4 engines, until some pencil pushing desk bound type decided it was dangerous.)

I guarantee that messing around with these experimental airplanes is a more hazardous than any commercial and most military operations. So, be careful and lets not stew over these 747 guys too much. :)

dd

jferraro16 said:
Fair enough. You've flown from LA to England (and back I assume? Maybe even a couple of times?) as a passenger, so you're obviously an expert.

Joe

I never claimed to be an expert and your sarcasm does little to help me become one. What would be helpful is if you could explain, in language I can understand, why the Atlantic crossing is safer than putting down while still over North America. It was your claim that passenger safety was at the TOP of the list of priorities and I just don't see how that could be. I want to learn, so how 'bout a lesson?

This is an interesting thread indeed.....as others have said most of us have very few of the actual facts and big picture. Sure it sounds pretty stupid, but if you only knew how many DC-10's, 747's, 340's, L10's and other Non ETOPS birds have regularly crossed the pond with one engine out you'd really blow a gasket. This is one publicized incident (and not recent at that) where everyone heard about what happened. Comically, I have to laugh about the "not finding and engine", because it's probably true :) Borrowing or leasing an engine is a big deal, especially given the fact that most of the US operators run GE's and P&W's, whereas some/lots of the BA's have RB's on them. There is only two mainline pax operator of whales in the US (NWA & UAL), additionally given the fact that most of the box haulers are classics makes this a likely scenario. Ferrying engines around of that size (even with the fans dissasembled) isn't an easy task either...hence the old 747 "5th engine" pylon years ago.

Before starting my avionics shop, I've spent many years in the airline biz, and indeed things like that have so many variables that it's hard to guess what really happened from our rather ignorant perspective. I've had the good (or bad) fortune to spend time working at many dozens of different airlines around the globe (on every continent except antarctica) and one universal thing is always the bottom line!

Anyway, it's interesting to see how something this strange started so much bickering - like it makes a difference. The airline biz is such an unbelievably strange animal, that unless you've spent much time in (in a whole variety of different departments), it's literally incomprehensible how things atually work. George can probably chime in about that as well. Like someone said, those guys generally know how much that extra leaf of lettuce costs them - but then they do some really stupid things that cost hundreds of times that amount. If you've been in the biz, you won't be surprised as to the general problems with todays airlines.

Ok, I'll stop! Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein.

The real world

I?m with Joe. In my experience (Ex B747-400, A340 B777 international ops) Joe?s analysis is probably pretty spot on.
Contrary to what some seem to think, the B747-400 will fly on two. It?s not very pretty, but it will. And there is a Boeing procedure for a TWO ENGINE MISSED APPROACH.
And let?s face it. I doubt you could buy a ticket to fly across the Atlantic today, any anything with more than two engines.

Pete.

Decisions are based on more than just the technical

Joe and others: For the sake of argument I'll stipulate that your technical analysis of three engine flight in a 747 is correct. But the technical cannot be allowed the last word. It is beyond dispute that the flight continued on three engines with a decrement in the margin of safety. The passengers on that flight had a right to expect that their safety would not be compromised for material or economic advantage. Overflying all of the airports of the United States and Canada at which a safe landing could have been made, and then continuing across the Atlantic Ocean subjected those passengers to unnecessary additional risks of which they knew nothing and for which they did not consent. That, I contend, was wrong. The fact that the airplane was capable of (nearly) completing the flight is a given. An airplane that couldn't continue across the Atlantic Ocean with an engine out could not be certified. That others have done and are doing this type of flying has no bearing on the rightness of this course of action.

Acceptable Risk?

Stephen,
I do agree with you.
A landing before the Atlantic crossing would seem prudent in light of the information supplied here.
As you say; ?The passengers on that flight had a right to expect that their safety would not be compromised for material or economic advantage.?
I agree again, but I am not sure everyone will agree.
Besides the fact that no one ever questions an Atlantic crossing in a three engined DC-10, Mssrs Boeing and Airbus spend enormous sums calculating decrements and decided Twin Engine Over Water Ops - now ETOPS- would be acceptable.
This is all sanctioned by the FAA, CAA etc.
If you depart LAX for Tokyo, Hong Kong or Singapore today, it will most likely be in a twin-engined aircraft.
The route you take will be closer to the Aleutian islands than Hawaii.
Cold Bay in the Aleutians will be one of the ?Suitable Airports? to cover the case of loosing one of the two engines. It could be hours away. ?Suitable Airports? for ETOPS do NOT need to meet the requirements for normal Alternates.
Cold Bay has a Back Beam ILS in the prevailing wind, down a valley surrounded by high terrain. I have never seen a WX report for Cold Bay that wasn?t atrocious. Gales and snow prevail.
There are no facilities to shelter passengers, nor aerobridges, nor aircraft stairs. If there were and uncontrollable fire and an evacuation, the passengers would be standing in the Arctic in shirt sleeves.
Clearly, ETOPS is a calculated risk.
The only gain is lower operating costs of Twins; which might or might not be passed on to the expecting passengers.
But the bean counters have calculated what is acceptable.

Pete.

fodrv7 said:
Stephen,
I do agree with you.
A landing before the Atlantic crossing would seem prudent in light of the information supplied here.
As you say; ?The passengers on that flight had a right to expect that their safety would not be compromised for material or economic advantage.?
I agree again, but I am not sure everyone will agree.
...<snip>...
But the bean counters have calculated what is acceptable.

Pete.

What is acceptable is a minuet danced between regulators, lawyers and accountants but the music is provided by consumers [to the extent they are informed]. Pax decide if they are going to climb aboard or choose another way to get there. In every organization there is always tension between mission and resources - that is healthy. I'm a bean counter [and like most of us, I'm a pretty good mission guy as well].

Consumers want safety at a cost/beneficial cost. We could make anything 'better/safer' but the cost would make it financially unfeasible. Balance is needed. When a single discipline is over-weighted in any organization [marketing in GM for instance, or bean counters at Ford] then the mission fails. This is true of those orgs. whose operations guys over-bear too [unless they have a monopolistic product/service [but then any over-weighted discipline org. will survive, until competitors come and remove the inefficiencies in the market]].

Bean-counters [or any discipline] aren't the problem. Lack of balance is.

I've flown alot on commercial airlines. I have to trust the professionals operating the a/c. I know there are some bozos in every discipline - that is life.

I don't agree with this particular decision but remember, their bums were on the plane too. I'd say they had sufficient 'skin' in the game to make the decision. That is what professionals do. Measured judgement based upon training and experience and then accept the responsibility of the decision made.

ymmv

John

fodrv7 said:
Cold Bay in the Aleutians will be one of the ?Suitable Airports? to cover the case of loosing one of the two engines. It could be hours away. ?Suitable Airports? for ETOPS do NOT need to meet the requirements for normal Alternates.
Cold Bay has a Back Beam ILS in the prevailing wind, down a valley surrounded by high terrain. I have never seen a WX report for Cold Bay that wasn?t atrocious. Gales and snow prevail.

Pete, sounds like you "been there and done that".

I was a 76 F/O when ETOPS was being proven back in the 80's and the feds had many hoops to jump through. One critical factor was the rate of inflight shut downs. The company I worked for used the equipment on domestic operations also and we had a problem with inflight shut downs over the rockies due to auto throttle management when transversing an area of mountain waves. The auto throttles would get out of sync with airspeed changes and in the process, an engine would flame out. I know of one flight (not our company) where both engines flamed out but were re lit on descent toward Denver.

Sitting in the right seat, one had to be descreet. It was difficult to say, maybe we should set power manually and let it roll, when company policy was to use auto throttles - it supposedly saved fuel. Guess what? When the ETOPS certificate was threatened, the policy changed, and the rate of inflight shut downs was checked.

Beyond that, like Stein and others have mentioned, its all about money. If the UK rules permitted the operation from LA to London on 3 engines, it was all about money from the beginning. All of Part 121 is influenced by money and of course, safety.

So far as the perception of passenger safety is concerned, if it had been possible to appraise everyone of what was going on and what the risks were, the vote probably would have been, lets press on - I need to get to London. There's always a risk boarding any airplane and most people know it, accept it and hope for the best. Those who don't, don't fly.

dd

I don't have a problem with 3 engine ops. The problem I have is they didn't make their destination because they ran out of fuel. That's a pretty major screwup and shows either lack of proficiency or very poor judgement. This "monday morning quarterback" expects my airline to figure stuff like this out on the ground, not somewhere over the Atlantic.

Gimme a break.

My simplistic, just a homebuilder with a private ticket $.02.

Interesting discussion! Too bad I can't join in as I'm not typed in a 747. Will miss commenting on the space program, as I'm not checked out in the space shuttle either.

Interesting thread with some varied replies thus far !

So - let's start, I am a UK based, Airbus 330 Captain with 11,500 hours, 3,000 in command of a 330 doing ETOPS. I guess I have crossed the pond a couple of hundred times as well as many many Far East sectors as far as Australia, Indonesia and Thailand. I am also a private check pilot and RV7 builder.

As others with longhaul experience have said, the decision to continue or not involves many factors and always involves communication either through Sat Com or by HF or VHF patch back to Maintrol or Managaement.

We have thankfully left behind the days when a Captain would make an autocratic decision to go or not, the accident stats show that this was not the way forward and huge strides have been made in Crew Resource Management ( Communication ) over the past few years.

So, was he right or wrong to continue ?

He was right, because the rules he was operating under allowed it, the crew will have discussed the failure, they will have had access to trend monitoring on the other 3 engines and the route of flight will have allowed probably 4 hours to decide whether to cross the pond as an east route is a lot further south than a west route and would have allowed multiple options for diversion prior to the Atlantic crossing.

I fly 2 engines, we operate 180 minute ETOPS which means I have to calculate fuel and diversion strategies for an Atlantic crossing where my nearest piece of tarmac may be 1290nm away - 3 hours at 430kts. Enroute Barbados from Manchester, England, we regularly see 1,000nm plus and it is rather lonely out there !

To throw another item in, we sometime despatch to destination with a fuel load which may, on paper be insufficient to reach destination. A lot of operators do this and it is called a re clearance plan - the US operators do it, they also operate no alternate ops to save fuel. These techniques are route proved to be acceptable, they offer a great saving in fuel as we don't have to carry as much from origin but can make up the required minima by in flight recalculation of contingency and reserves. The process is a little complex, but with fuel at over $600 a tonne and us burning 6 tonnes an hour ( a 747 uses 10 !), fuel saving and keeping operating costs down is important.

OK, where does this leave us ?

Was safety compromised ? - no, because the manufacturer and operator had approved procedures in force to cope with such an event.

Was the operation efficient ? - yes, because 250 plus passengers didn't end up somewhere they didn't want to be in hotels overnight, or for 2 nights. Incidently, we carry 407 passengers on our Airbus 330 when on high density operations, so he was well below gross weight for this flight - another factor in the decision process.

Would anyone have ever known about it if he had reached London ? - no :D

Similar and different things happen every day - US operators are no different to UK operators, they use the technology and knowledge gleaned over thousands of flight hours to despatch their aeroplanes in a safe and efficient manner.

Now if this had been a third world operator............................ :eek:

It's Chinatown

One more post and I'll let this rest. This has been a thought provoking thread somewhat off of the RV track but illustrating how society weighs the risk and benefits of technology. The FAA regulates the airlines and is itself regulated by politicians, who in turn answer to voters but also to the regulated industries, who come as lobbyists bearing gifts of campaign contributions and high paying jobs for former regulators. If the FAA opposes something the airline industry very badly wants, the FAA can expect pressure from politicians to approve it. The lobbyists probably have the upper hand until disaster strikes, then the public will clamor for reform and the lobbyists will melt into the shadows until the heat dies down. If, for example, the 747 in question had gone into the ocean, you can be sure that would mark the end of engine out ocean crossings. But in the meantime it is business as usual, and we members of the public must put our trust in the professionalism of the crew (high trust), airline management (very low trust), and the FAA (medium trust). It is well to recall that what is SOP today may be anathema tomorrow. I have seen it in my own profession (medicine). Now, a question for all the current and former aircrewman: If the 747 had lost another engine over the Atlantic, and given that fuel was evidently critical at the end of the flight, is it a concern that he would have had to drift down, burn more fuel, and put the plane out of reach of land? Regards, Steve (a member of the ticket buying public and a known writer of letters to politicians.)

Mike--

Thanks! You showed A LOT more patience than I did in explaining this situation. Hopefully, I can be taken down off the cross now. :D

Bottom line for me is: These crews know what they are doing, they are not operating in a vacuum (with regard to Maintenance, engineering, management input), it's a huge team effort, that I KNOW was discussed at such great lengths the average guy on the street would be amazed, they had a TON of time to decide the proper course, and of course, their pink bodies were sitting in the same jet that those 300+ passengers were.

I've been there, and done it. 3 engine divert to Johnston Atoll (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:JohnstonAtoll.jpeg) That is a long, lonely 2 hours to think about how things are going to turn out.

I guess I don't understand the concept that anyone--you, me, anyone--can read a NEWSPAPER account of what happened and then condemn them as doing something wrong; implying that the passengers have a right to know about a decision that HAS to be made by the crew and their team. What does the typical passenger expect? A vote on whether to continue or not?

To then drape it in some sort of "flight safety education" situation on a board about single engine recip (generally) RVs is stretching the scope a bit, IMO.

That' all it is, my opinion. I just happen to think my opinion is grounded in a bit of experience, versus what I read in a news article.

Joe

Last edited:
Interesting, would it be a story if he just landed back at LAX

Here is the details of the 2005 deal:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2005-03-01-britair-la_x.htm

It seems economic reasons and pressures are driving decisions? You decide. In this case the pilot needed to made an emergency landing due do almost running out of fuel! Now they say, well not really? Right OK.

You can burn more fuel on three engines than four. For one you must fly lower, which burns more fuel, especially if head winds are increased. Also asymmetric thrust requires some rudder, which is more drag, not including drag of a windmilling engine. Almost running out of fuel and landing short of destination does not sound like a game plan. Here is quote:

.....aircraft lost power in one of its engines shortly after taking off from Los Angles International Airport. The pilot made an emergency landing in Manchester, England, about 160 miles short of London, because the B747 ran low on fuel, facing headwinds that were stronger than expected, the FAA said.

Does this sound like sound decision making. The flight ends in fuel critical state? Please :rolleyes: :eek:

Reality check!!! Over

11 hour flight, half of which is over the Atlantic, 60 to 210 minutes from any place to land! You can fly a non-oceanic path over greenland and iceland, but that adds a lot of time. Lets be honest, it's not all for safety. We can justify from aeronautical logic, the plane flys fine on three engines, but it does not mean its a great idea. Apparently BA has not figured out how to fly 11 hour revenue flights on 3 engines.

There is no controversy if a precautionary landing was made. I know for sure you can't push back on a revenue flight with 3 out of 4 engines. "Geee we can't get #3 started, lets takeoff and go anyway." Is there much difference loosing an engine at the gate or 100 feet over the runway? If they would have lost it just before V1 they would have stopped. We are talking about +350 people and 11 hours.

Just my opinion, the safest thing would have been to dump fuel and land. This would of course been at huge cost to the airline: fuel, loss of plane from schedule, crew, catering, passenger accommodations, contracted maintenance and leasing or shipping of a replacement engine.

On the other hand, so what. It's not wrong to land. I don't think any one is saying landing is BAD. Obviously landing would not have brought such bad press. Sometime going is good for other reasons, like on a B757. With out fuel dump you may be better flying and burning fuel off. However the B747-400 has fuel dump, I know for sure, I designed part of it, and taught in the 747-400 simulator. Don't worry it won't let you dump all your fuel.

It takes things like this to expose it to the public, who pay to fly on the planes. Pressure from them on the FAA will decide this, or worse an accident.

Heavy flyer's, James from Oz and dd-David-aviator, commented. Hi Gents. I have flown the Atlantic also, ETOPS (engines turning or people swimming) on a regular basis, but all in twins, B757 and B767. It's not an option to continue if you puke an engine on a twin, as you know; you WILL land at the nearest of departure, t/o alternate, enroute alternate destination. Even then pilots get into the suitable nearest airport catch 22 rational. Passing a theoretically suitable runway for an airport, even just 50 nm further away, but is MORE suitable, e.g., better facilities and maintenance, is a good way to get in trouble. The closer airport as NOTHING but asphault, but the one down the road has all the amenities? It seems reasonable to go to the larger airport, especially if drifting down from altitude. Catch 22.

I personally would not consider starting an Atlantic or Pacific crossing with one of four engines shut down, but I have no actual 4-engine time. I know a B747-400 flys fine on 3. For training, I sat on the jump seat once to observe three engine B747-400 touch and goes. It was a non-event, but than again we where light.

Ailine pilots flying for hire have to justify their decision the next day. I think landing is a very defensible decisions, based on safety alone or perceived safety to the public. Now landing for something trivial will get you into hot water, but loosing 25% of your power, some electical, pneumatics and hydraulic capability, is not trivial, at least in my opinion.

ETOPS (extended TWIN ops) are for twins not 3 and 4 engine planes, but there's lessons to be learned. A 747 with three engines running, is a twin if you loose the second engine. The North Atlantic is special airspace with special rules to enter it. For TWINS to fly the Atlantic it takes lots of extra maintenace, monitoring, training and dispatch requirements.

If the pilots are trained to enter OCEANIC airspace w/ one engine out, than fine. Is dispatch trained to deal with the performance and regs and being more than two hours away from land on two engine speed (if you loose another)? Also if you can't keep your speed and altitude up, you can't fly in NA oceanic airspace. You either have to fly low (below FL250) or around to the north, the long way, both bad for fuel.

If it ain't in the book (Ops) than I would have a hard time going for it, even if the chief pilot said sure, you can do that if YOU want. Pilots want to do what is best for the passengers and crew and company, but sometimes they have to do what is best for them, ie cover their back side.

If all Regs where meet, airline and aviation authorities said fine, its something they train pilots for and airline dispatch approved it, working out new flt plan numbers, adjusting fuel, altitude (fuel burn goes up, max alt goes down) and the weather was good, than go for it. Apparently BA does it all the time. We shall see if they had all their paper work, training and oversight in place.

I think everyone has good points, but Ill be critical of the aero-news guy.

"(B747-400) go around with one engine" Ridiculous comment. Is that some justification for doing the 3 out of 4 crossing? No and probably is not correct with a heavy plane; just crazy talk.

"Its one thing if it spewing parts or just a surge." That would be my point, do you really know?

"most ops manuals over three engine operations of big jumbo jets allow this" Really, has he seen most ops manuals?

A C-130 on practice over LAND with three engines is not +300 people over the Atlantic, hour and 1/2 from any land. Lets not mix senerios.​

If you think there are no economic reasons for continuing to England from LAX! and a maintenance base, than I have some swamp property I'd like to sell you. What about the new european law requiring carriers to reimburse passengers for substantial delays.[/U] On the other hand if the Captain would have landed, the airline probably would made his life miserable. Was that on his mind? Is he a company man. One of the worst accidents in aviation history, KLM / PanAm runway collision, tenerife in '77, in small part was from schedule pressure, curfew and crew duty time. There was enough blame to go around, as well as more significant reasons, but "got to get there" was part of it.

That is why clear regs and op procedures are great for pilots. It gives way to clear indisputable decisions. I guarantee you first accident it will be a law. They already have come close. Do we really need or want to wait for that? B747's have 4 engines and FUEL dump for a reason, they need and should use them.

This may be an area that needs some better guidance. May be its old news to 4-engine pilots like James or dd. I think like a twin driver. I don't work to economic, management or schedule pressures when safety is involved. That is the way to have a bad day, even for GA pilots. I would rather justify being a little too conservative and be wrong, than be a company man and make a big mistake. "I was trying to save money or schedule" is never a defense.

Last edited:
tobinbasford said:
According to this link, the crew landed with more than enough fuel onboard. They diverted because they were deficient in how to balance out the total fuel load with only three engines and "thought" they wouldn't be able to get fuel out of a particular tank, FWIW.

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/june_2006/boeing_747_436__g_bnlg.cfm

Ahahhh!
Sounds to me like they couldn't transfer the tail fuel (about 22,000 pounds stored in the HS), towards the end. That fuel won't transfer until late in the flight.
John

As a B757/767 driver, continuing is obviously not an option, but I'm not familiar with our 747-400 ops manual. I can almost guarantee though that those guys are also not allowed to continue on a long flight...with passengers that is.

For one thing our flight plans are based on certain given criteria ( such as all engines running and at given altitudes and Mach numbers. You start changing those items and now you're operating in a different enviroment. Time is different, fuel burn is different, altitude and speed are different. Not saying you can't obtain that information, because you can. But you weren't fueled for that particular type of contingency. You were fueled with certain int'l fuel regs taken into account, ETOPS diversions and so forth.

Maybe the British Airways ops specs allow for that, but somehow I doubt it.

How it is done.

Stephen,
Nice balanced post and of course you have the right to ask the for more information- as a fare paying pax- as I do when my Doc pulls out humungous hypodermic with the intention of inserting it under my knee cap to extract the fluid on my knee.
When I did Pacific crossings in the 747-400 and A340, we did not have fuel a problem west bound as the last 4 hrs, when fuel was low, was over a myriad of airports in Japan into which we could divert in the case on an engine failure.
East bound this luxury did not exist.
The Pacific is much bigger than the Atlantic, as we all know, and early into an eastbound flight, an engine failure would mean turning back, as we would not have sufficient fuel to fly on.
Commercial ops require a variable fuel ?sometimes called contingency- of 5-10%, carried in case of an unforecast headwind component or any reason that might cause higher than expected fuel burn. As the east bound flight progressed, if the winds were as forecast (and they were amazingly accurate) the variable fuel would not be burnt and a surplus would gradually accumulate. In a 14hr flight 5% is a lot of fuel. There therefore came a point before the PNR where we had sufficient fuel to loose an engine and fly on and land at Vancouver. Later, if still on four engines, Fly On fuel was achieved for San Francisco and eventually LAX. Obviously this procedure would work across any ocean.
Besides the paper flight plan with all this excellent data on fuel state and options in the case of failure, in a modern airliner you can type any airport into the FMC (Flight Management Computer), the Flight Level achievable Engine Out and the ETA and arrival fuel is be calculated. So we would know that Tokyo was available and then later Anchorage and then Vancouver etc. in case of an engine out. I suspect in the case being discussed here, the crew knew they had Iceland and then Scotland, the point being they would have always had somewhere to go.
As an illustration of the level of technology available, I once started up in Singapore and had a warning light on then accessory gearbox illuminate. There was an AD for this particular light, so I called the company engineering on the Sat Phone ?1000nm away- and then Engineer said; ?Yes! I see you have a Gearbox light On #1 engine, but it was triggered by a different occurrence to that covered by the AD, so it is OK to proceed.?
He had more information in front of him than I did, telemetered information that was constantly being transmitted by the aircraft and monitored by the company engineering base. The support structure for decision making in airlines is huge.
This has been an excellent thread and is RV related. It demonstrates the need to know your fuel state and the options available to you.
You don?t have to be a professional to be professional.
Pete.

Passengers?

If the count used earlier is correct, there were 350 reasons to land. Where I come from, if my wife and kids were on the flight and the crew chose to fly 5000 miles in a broke airliner, the captain would probably require three months of rehab!

I agree with Steve concerning an early landing and I CANNOT BELIEVE anyone can logically or morally argue to the contrary.

Just a thought Joe, but when you start out with a comment like...

jferraro16 said:
I hope nobody takes this personally, but a bunch of homebuilder's with private pilot licesnses, and a couple of thousand hours (tops) have no place Monday-morning-quaterbacking these guys.

Kinda tends to put people on the defensive.

Sure, most of us don't have hours that could possibly compare to a guy monitoring gauges in a 747 for years on end. However, I bet there are a few here with many more flights though, hundreds more takeoffs and landings. Perhaps thousands more decisions made by themselves in flight than a guy sitting at the wheel of big iron. So to demean them (us) really isn't fair now is it?

I've got two friends that fly 172's for a living, have done so for years. One has just over 21,000 hours and the other has over 40,000 hours. All single engine, all over water. I've learned a lot from them even though they haven't ever ever flown for an airline. I would have to say they're both professional pilots.

Just an opinion, just an observation.

Reserved opinion

If I was on a flight where a serious problem developed, I would pray for a bloke in the left seat like George. There would be no doubt that he would not bow to company pressure and would take the operationally correct action. He?s a Captain's captain. And boy he knows his aviation.
He has slipped a little in implying I condone the action of the crew in this incident, simply because I have not condemned it.
Not condemning does not necessarily mean condoning.
Re-reading my two posts I am happy with what I set out to do and that was to point out;
1. All operations involve a cost/risk analysis. And there followed some really informed comments on cost/risk by people whose trade it is.
2. It is ridiculous to assert that the crew were flying around not knowing if they had enough fuel to make an airport. I trust my explanation was clear.
Not having seen the whole report I am very reluctant to condemn or condone, as I know I have been guilty, in the past, of making bad judgments from the information in the daily press.
I can say, however, I can?t think of any reason that would entice me to leave the security of the North American Landmass.
Pete.

fodrv7 said:
2. It is ridiculous to assert that the crew were flying around not knowing if they had enough fuel to make an airport. I trust my explanation was clear.

If not, here's another. I do not remember the minutia of the rules, but this is how it works.

A flight from Rome to New York needs x amount of fuel in reserve at New York because of the the distance (a rule). Sometimes it is more than the airplane holds or is permitted due to gross weight limitations or more than the company wants to carry because it costs $$ to carry fuel not needed.

So the dispatch will read, Flight blaw-blaw, released to Gander subject re release to New York. Coming across the pond, the dispatcher will determine a new fuel requirement for New York based on the remaining much shorter distance and latest weather forecasts. If the flight has sufficient fuel remaining under the close in rule, it's on to JFK, if not, land at Gander and refuel. The flight can not proceed past Gander without a new release.

This type of dispatch was routine some years ago. More than likely, that is how the 747 proceeded to London, but stopped in Manchester to refuel as required by the policy (rules). At least that is how it would work under Part 121.

dd

Hard Knox said:
Where I come from, if my wife and kids were on the flight and the crew chose to fly 5000 miles in a broke airliner, the captain would probably require three months of rehab!

As I read through all the jargon-filled rationalizations, I thought exactly the same thing. Lets say that a friend took your kid for a ride in his RV. When they get back you learn that during the flight a mag failed and the guy just continued on, away from the field for miles and miles on one mag. Would you buy any excuse? Cmon?!?!

And to all the people more knowledgable than myself, is there any way that the crew could definitively rule out sabotage as the cause of the engine failure? Can they be sure the other engines won't be next? This was an international flight, and I'm sure everyone is aware that there are some people out there who'd love nothing better than to see a 747 full of infidels deadstick into the atlantic.

gil in Tucson ... sticking to US based carriers for my next transatlantic trip.... :)[/QUOTE]

Americans are so sensitive....:)

Frank..The Brit.

Oh great

So Gill turns out to be a Brit as well..Present yer stiff upper lip Gil, a little engine out was all in a days work a generation ago...flak too...:)

Cheers

Frank
The other Brit!

Read the actual report

And if you look at the actual AAIB report (http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resources/Boeing 747-436, G-BNLG 06-06.pdf) it provides facts, details and recommendations (22 pages of) - like what they did, where they made the decisions and the group of individuals and organisations involved.

Some key snippets (with reference to some of the previous posts):

The USA Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR Part 121.565) requires a landing at the nearest suitable airport following an engine failure or IFSD, except for an aircraft with three or more engines. In this case, the commander ?may proceed to an airport he selects if he decides that this is as safe as landing at the nearest suitable airport?, having considered a number of factors. These included the nature of the malfunction and possible mechanical difficulties, fuel requirements, weather, terrain and familiarity with the chosen airport. The commander is required to keep ATC informed and the operator is required to inform subsequently their airworthiness authority of the event.

The first of the summary recommendations:
It is recommended that the Civil Aviation Authority and the Federal Aviation Administration, in conjunction with other relevant agencies, should review the policy on flight continuation for public transport aircraft operations, following an in-flight shutdown of an engine, in order to provide clear guidance to the operators.

And BA response to fuel training / management:
The revised fuel management procedures have been incorporated into the relevant manuals and training courses. All Boeing 747-400 flight crew have received additional engine-out fuel management training as part of their regular simulator training. Three-engine fuel management, including low fuel quantity procedures, have been added to the recurrent training cycle.

Carl (another Brit)

More thoughts

I said I wouldn't post on this subject again but I am compelled to thank all the pros (Peter, George, David, Mike, Joe, did I miss someone?) who do long distance airline flying for explaining how it is done and how decisions are made. This illustrates the strength of Western institutions in managing technology by gathering information from an interconnected web of authoritative sources and presenting it to a crew who evaluates the data collaboratively, and then ultimately a final decision is rendered by the captain who alone assumes responsibility for the safety of all. An essential feature is that the captain sits in the very front and would be the first to arrive at the scene of an accident. We must not forget that it is an offense against the dignity of the human person to subject innocent and trusting people to unneccessary risk, whether 350 passengers on a three engine 747 or a single passenger in a Cub. In the long run, learning to make good decisions contributes more to flying safety than skillful manipulation of the flight controls. A good captain needs to be a moral philosopher. That is one reason that flying is so different from ordinary pursuits, and so attractive.

Ratman--

Appreciate your comment, and readily admit and apologize for my original tone.

Your examples point out exactly what I was trying to get across. Before I conclude something, and comment on it in public, I **TRY** to understand what I'm about to comment uopn. Hence I was wrong with the "private pilot" comment.

I'm an ex-military guy, who went to the airlines, and haven't flown GA in 18 years. Due to my current employment state (furloughed and not flying), I am taking a BFR next week. I'm scared to death because I have no idea what to expect.

Therefore, if somebody was to post an article about an RVer, or C-172 guy with 20,000 hours, or a Mooney pilot, who made a judgement error in the eyes of the reporter, I would be cautious in my eagerness to jump on the condemnation bandwagon. I would have no point of reference.

That's all my original post was trying to point out. I apologize again if my words or tone offended anybody.

Joe

RatMan said:
Just a thought Joe, but when you start out with a comment like...

Kinda tends to put people on the defensive.

Sure, most of us don't have hours that could possibly compare to a guy monitoring gauges in a 747 for years on end. However, I bet there are a few here with many more flights though, hundreds more takeoffs and landings. Perhaps thousands more decisions made by themselves in flight than a guy sitting at the wheel of big iron. So to demean them (us) really isn't fair now is it?

I've got two friends that fly 172's for a living, have done so for years. One has just over 21,000 hours and the other has over 40,000 hours. All single engine, all over water. I've learned a lot from them even though they haven't ever ever flown for an airline. I would have to say they're both professional pilots.

Just an opinion, just an observation.

Joe,

No offense taken at all. Best of luck with the BFR, I'm sure you've got nothing to worry about.

A topic that has been debated endlessly over months elsewhere. Maybe some lessons learned you might ask?

In fact - "not" really. Extensive analysis and politics and debate has meant the situation is now little changed. A 747 losing an engine after TO is still almost as likely to continue to destination if able, and considered safe, as it was here. As the AAIB said, a deficiency in training meant the crew felt they may have had less available fuel than they actually did, so the safe option was taken and emergency decalred and landed a little short of planned destination.

There are a number of ways of looking at this... but one is a 747 has 4 enignes to get it airborne. Once airborne, it has too many, and losing one is pretty irrelevant. You are just more quickly into the scenario where you are a tri-jet pilot and need to consider the implications of losing another. Nothing like the majority of us airline guys where we are only departing on 2...

Really do you think it matters

Andy Hill said:
A topic that has been debated endlessly over months elsewhere. Maybe some lessons learned you might ask?

In fact - "not" really. Extensive analysis and politics and debate has meant the situation is now little changed. A 747 losing an engine after TO is still almost as likely to continue to destination if able, and considered safe, as it was here. As the AAIB said, a deficiency in training meant the crew felt they may have had less available fuel than they actually did, so the safe option was taken and emergency declared and landed a little short of planned destination.

There are a number of ways of looking at this... but one is a 747 has 4 engines to get it airborne. Once airborne, it has too many, and losing one is pretty irrelevant. You are just more quickly into the scenario where you are a tri-jet pilot and need to consider the implications of losing another. Nothing like the majority of us airline guys where we are only departing on 2...
Sounds like justification, after the fact. They where concerned at the time and place, enough to land short of their destination. That is a fact. The story after does not matter. It is funny or its ironic, they blame the crew or training for not reading the fuel correctly? If it goes off OK than business as usual. If it does not quite work out, the crew messed up. The ENGINE out and FUEL are directly related.

What I recall from the report is company policy is min arrival fuel at Heathrow is 6.5 tonne (14,300 lbs) and they landed at Manchester with 4.7 tonne? You where saying? Sounds like rewriting the safety rules to fit the situation. Would it have been better to land at Heathrow with 2 tonnes (4,400 lbs). I start to worry landing a B757 with that. ALSO the legal flight planned fuel for an international flight is a percentage of TRIP fuel. I can't believe they could show it good on the flight plan. THEY BLAME THE HEAD WINDS? East bound? Please a bunch of Hoooey. If this was a third world country airline the FAA would have lambasted them, however Speed-bird is thought to be a topnotch carrier, which they are. May be they need to be brought down a notch. In my opinion they are abusing the rules.

There was confusion about fuel. Why? Not because the crew, because they where getting fuel imbalance with one engine shut down. Fuel imbalance is not really normal. So yes it was training. They are not taught how to fly with 3 engines for an 11 hour flight.

All training I have given (on the B747-400) or received in the airlines regarding an engine failure is to treat it as a NON-NORMAL or emergency, including the B747-400. If degraded performance, systems and operations and being 2 hours from land is not enough reason, there are secondary effects, like fuel imbalance, which adds crew work load and anxiety. Did they go to engine out cruise speed? None of this sounds good to me.

Do BA pilots really practice and stay current with this scenerio in simulator LOFT (Line orientation flight training). I doubt it, so they are right, it was training, and that affected the out come. So why are we talking about wheather this was the right thing to do. Apparently not.

Doing unusal things with out training is not a good idea. The crew should have said, hey we are not trained for this, we ain't doing it. Of course they would have use proper English and said it with a Brit accent. :rolleyes:

Fuel is presented in several digital displays on the overhead, including a total and a FMC / CRT synoptic display on the B747-400. They are darn accurate and redundant. A 5 year old could tell you how much fuel you had. On the ground it's temp compensated probes, once engines are started, it goes to fuel flow minus fuel. The probes and FF readings are compared continuously. They knew what they had, and they where concerned. Management always wants pilots to fly with less fuel. Could they have made it. Yes but what if there was weather or some other delay. It would have got to pucker factor 10. A plane folds a gear right ahead on approach and now you must go around, with low fuel? :eek: Please this attitude it's not THAT bad amazes me. This is +350 people.

Overall the basic fuel system is simple, 4 tanks feeding to a respective engine with a center tank that can drive feed engines. A hand full of boost pumps and valves can isolate or cross feed, which gets a little more tricky if an engine is out. That is not what I want the Captain and crew to be doing, throwing valves and pumps on and off to keep the balanced, basically on two man flight deck. The investigation recommend BA include 3 engine fuel balance in initial and recurrent training.

There was doubt and that is NOT normal and not acceptable to me. The fact that they really could have made it is moot. The crew at the time did not think so and that is what counts. Second guessing pilots is what desk drivers do. BA press releases of course are going to down play the compromise.

It's the same, wheather its landing a B747-400 with 4.7 ton or 30 min in a RV. In a RV that 3.5 gal, divided by two tanks, minus unusable, is a LOT of AIR in the tank. I plan to land with 1 hr in a RV. There's nothing like worrying about fuel.

There was doubt at the time which is the point, margins where and are being reduced, clearly. Is it safe enough? That is debatable. Another incident and it will not be an option. This may have been in the "rules" but they are exploiting the intent or a loophole. They were not enroute, at altitude, they where in the pattern when the engine failed, spectacularly! Than they climbed and flew on. They overflew a LOT of airports to get to England. Just does not make sense, except for obvious economic reasons.

If a plane goes down, management still gets to go home that night and see their family. I don't let them make in flight decisions for me. In this case they blamed the crew or the training department. That is what will happen if it ever turn bad, the crew messed up. They and their passengers are taking the risk. They may have got away with it 15 times in their history, and may get by with another 15 times, but its going to bite them. Flying over the North Atlantic is a severe environment, and I want everything working to start that leg. Would you want the Captain of the plane flying your family to be conservative and take no extra risk or be a company man and press on even, if the rules get bent a little.

The final recommendation was the FAA and UK CAA review revenue flights with in-flight shut down. I thought is was clear. If they don't do something than it is industry and economic pressures in affect of public policy. That is my opinion. I think the pilots are put in an untennable position by their company if this is encouraged.

Cheers

Last edited: