rv4bill

Well Known Member
Anyone know of an airport within short drive of Bristol Tenn? Maybe a small town nearby that would have an airport, motel and car rental? My 13 year old has been asking for 5 years to go to that race and I was able to get some tickets. Don't want to drive from Orlando and would be much more fun to fly the 4 there, thanks in advance for any info.

bill whidden

Go to www.skyvector.com

After you find an airport nearby, go to www.airnav.com and see what services they got.

Update: Just went to skyvector. There are four airports near the track; 0A9, VJI, 0A4, and TRI. TRI is by far the closest and largest and is a towered field. Chances are they'll have good services including rental cars. Beware though, it will be very busy with corporate aircraft attending the race. They might take all of the cars. Might be better off at VJI if you can get a car from there.

Last edited:
0A9

Bill, I live in the Tricieties area, and by far I'd recommend Elizabethton. They don't have rental cars at the airport, but if you arrange it ahead of time you should be able to get enterprise to bring you a car there. As mentioned, TRI is REALLY crowded during that time, on top of that, the FBO there is really a rip-off. On the other hand, if money is no object, if you land at TRI, they offer overpriced van rides to the track, and even helicopter rides there!

BTW, you might want to book a hotel asap, as there are no rooms left in the area during the races. I would offer to host you, but unfortunately, my wife and I might be running to the hospital to welcome our first kid during that week. Yikes! We are NOT ready yet...

Good luck which ever way you go.

Freddy