I wanted to increase the reflective capability of the landing light area in my wings. I want to add aluminum on all 4 sides (top, bottom, left and right) of the headlight opening. The aluminum has a very reflective surface on it and i'm hoping will increase the light output. I got the idea when I saw that most cars have a reflective area around the headlights themselves.

My concern is that my square H4 headlight might produce too much heat and the plexiglass lens my warp or discolor if I enclose this whole area. There is a lightening hole on each side of this headlight compartment that lets some of the heat out at this time.

Any ideas?? Or thoughts??? Suggestions???:confused:

The HID from duck works is probably the best bet, not flying yet but they are much brighter. I saw they have upgrades in LED as well. You could call duckworks 503-310-5946 and ask about your idea of boxing in the cutout as well.

It wouldn't help much, if at all. The science behind the automotive headlight is all about putting a lot of light where you need it, but not in the eyes of the other vehicles. There is a lot going on in those reflectors to reach that goal.
Besides, the lamps you are using should have a reflector, so not a lot of light is lost to the sides or back.
As suggested, call Don....

I too have swapped the halogens out of the duckworks for HID. I bought the 55watt HID and they are BRIGHT and only about $50 for a pair online.

Bevan

LED Bar

If you have the $$ and want to go big, enlarge the light cutout and install an LED Bar like offroad trucks are using. Roughly $1200 but you could light the entire lenth of the airstrip. Random idea, but I think it would be cool ;)

HID

Upgrade the bulb assy to HID's for the best lighting option. I'm using Duck's PAR 36 reflectors which I could upgrade from 55W halogens to 35W HID. You may be able to do the same. Then it was simply a bulb/harness change, mount the ballast, and voila! More light!

HID's run cooler than Halogens, and use about half the amps. The only down side is higher initial cost and the possibility that you can't flash them (depending on model). Although I think that Duck sells a flasher unit now that is now compatible with HID's. Call them...

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and installed the reflective panels in the headlight compartment. I also ordered an HID 35 watt system to install. We will see if it gets installed on the plane or the Jeep. Luckily it fits both.

Thanks again. This is a great support site.
Richard

Yep, HID's are bright. I have two Duckwork 35's on the leading edge and two 55w in the tips. You don't even need runway lights.

I'm still on the fence between Duckworks HID 55w replacement for my Halogen or an LED option. I was even considering picking up a couple CREE XML U2's

http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/products_id/94

and building a mounting plate but since I don't know a lot about this, wanted to see if anybody else had input. The Cree specs 2500mAh at 12v. So would a pair of these be 5amp compared to 4.2amp 55w HID?

I'm still on the fence between Duckworks HID 55w replacement for my Halogen or an LED option. I was even considering picking up a couple CREE XML U2's

http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/products_id/94

and building a mounting plate but since I don't know a lot about this, wanted to see if anybody else had input. The Cree specs 2500mAh at 12v. So would a pair of these be 5amp compared to 4.2amp 55w HID?

55w HID are around 5000 lumens compared to these LED modules at 3000 lumens. Do a search for led landing lights for the rest of the story.
Personally, I would stick to a company like Duckworks for HID or Aeroleds for LED.