Yeah, I saw this on the local news last night. precious little information.
no reliable witnesses, and lots of little pieces of metal. Very sad.

Eating dinner with my wife at the hangar this evening, I mentioned that two fatal RV accidents had occurred in the last few days. And then I made the superstitious comment that events seem to happen in "3s". Strange as it is, this accident makes the number 3, and it's always sad to hear.

L.Adamson

It's Worse.....

This makes another one - just saw it while reviewing the FAA database:

I am afraid to ask if anyone knows this airplane or owner....

********************************************************************************
** Report created 7/7/2008 Record 1 **
********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 184KS Make/Model: EXP Description: RV8
Date: 07/06/2008 Time: 0045

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Destroyed

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT CRASHED INTO A PARKING LOT, THE ONE PERSON ON BOARD WAS FATALLY
INJURED, VALERA, TX

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: BWD 06004Z AUTO 15006KT 10SM FEW085 A2992

OTHER DATA
Activity: Pleasure Phase: Unknown Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: SAN ANTONIO, TX (SW17) Entry date: 07/07/2008

Uuugh. This makes me sick to my stomach, too. I haven't been around this community very long and am right in the middle of starting my build. I'm curious: have these accidents in the last couple of days been happening at a quicker pace than usual? It seems like every time I turn around someone's bought the farm...

I know my life is riskier than most, but I like to think that I'm not building my coffin, you know? All the recent accidents definitely give me pause about following through on this project...

Plane down

Steel Mike - this is really sad and tragic but build on and enjoy the building - life is too short to dwell on this - and consider that almost everyone either knows someone who was either killed or badly injured in an automobile but none of us give up the car.

Enjoy the building and comaraderie of flying. There's nothing like it in the world!!!

True, I've had the same thought about people and car accidents, but I know a lot more people who drive cars than fly airplanes!

I spent the whole 4th of July weekend visiting my mother. She spent the entire holiday generally freaking out about how unsafe this whole endeavor is. And then I came home to two or three trajedies. Sad... and scary...

Scary

SteelMike, I agree that these reports are saddening, but disagree on the scary part. It can be to someone who is not confident in their own abilities, but this can be overcome by proper training in proficient piloting techniques.

Why don't you check out Bob Miller's "Over the Airwaves" website for some serious insights into how to overcome some of the delinquencies so common to our current pilot training, which all too frequently lead to the outcomes discussed in this thread? I believe that by so doing, we can be better fortified in all our flying activities.

May you fly long, enjoyably, and safely.

Joe