Jamie

Well Known Member
I'm putting in my brake system and I have a question regarding the proper installation of the brass fittings on the plastic lines. Obviously I'm to put the nut and sleeve (in that order) onto the tubing, then insert the brass insert into the tubing. I guess my question is...how far forward should I pull the nut and sleeve? Should I bring it just up over the insert or should I bring it all the way to the end of the tube?

Brake tubing

Slide the tube/insert into the fitting as far as it will go, then slide the nut/sleeve down and tighten the nut.

Dennis Glaeser
7A Fuselage

More info

I think your original question was unanswered. It is correct to put the inner sleeve as far into the tube as it will go. (The flange will serve as a stop) As far as the ferrule goes, after you place the nut and the ferrule onto the line, just slip the line as far into the fitting as it will go, then when you slide the ferrule and nut up to tighten them, it should place the ferrule approximately 1/8-3/16" back from the end of the line right over the inner sleeve. The nut then working with the fitting will properly lock the ferrule onto the line. Hope this helps.

--hawk

Heating up the end of the tube in a cup of hot water makes the process much easier. Also be sure to check that the sleeve doesn't carve out a flap on the inside of the tube. I'm not sure if that can happen with this tubing, but it doesn't hurt to check.

I used a heat gun (rather than hot water) to soften the tip of the tubing. No matter how I did it, it took a great deal of effort to get the thingy inside the tube, and then to slide the ferrule over the tube. Some tapping was required!

tube

mgomez said:
I used a heat gun (rather than hot water) to soften the tip of the tubing. No matter how I did it, it took a great deal of effort to get the thingy inside the tube, and then to slide the ferrule over the tube. Some tapping was required!
Strange - mine went right on. I wonder if that's because my shop is currently about 35?F. Hope I did it right. I'll check it again before I start pumping in the brake fluid.