KALEWIS

Well Known Member
Has anyone tested the brake system before final assembly? Just finished that section, just curious if there is anyway to bench test them now??

I would test them as soon as installed. I had problems with the fittings on 2 of the master cyls leaking. All 4 were assembled exactly the same, same thread lube, same torque, but 2 leaked.

leaking brake cylinders

Had the same leak problem. Used a high-tech sealer (don't know the name just now). Re-installed w/ permatex "2".....seems to have sealed this time.

brake cylinder leaking

I take that back. Did some taxi testing today....at least two of the fittings are still leaking.
Anybody experienced this problem?

The fittings are tight, but not" two fisted" tight.

Mike,

I had 5 of my fittings leaking... when I installed them into the masters didn't want to strip the threads so I didn't over tighten them, but in the end I had to go back and make one more revolutions on each of the leaking fittings.

-Ron

brake cylinder leaking

I used two different types of sealer, the first was something in a yellow tube (don't have details with me), the second was automotive equiv of Permatex 2.

I too worried about "stripping" the threads.

Best I can tell, they are leaking at the cylinder attachment (as compared to the brake line fitting).

Ron - I assume from you comment that the "tight + one revolution" worked?

Thx for the input!

Mike,

Yes... it worked... my fitting came with a sealant (yellow in color) pre-applied that was soft but kind of dry. That, in part, may have given me a false positive on how firmly I was tightening the fittings. After going back over the leaking ones I put some heavy builders paper under the peddles which will show the slightest drop of fluid... so far the system is holding.

-Ron

100_0194.JPG

Last edited:
Mike,

Yes... it worked... my fitting came with a sealant (yellow in color) pre-applied what was soft but kind of dry. That, in part, may have given me a false positive on how firmly I was tightening the fittings. After going back over the leaking ones I put some heavy builders paper under the peddles which will show the slightest drop of fluid... so far the system is holding.

-Ron

100_0194.JPG

So how will the rudder pedals work with the lines crossed as in this picture?

It's just looks that way in the picture... I just check... the up right tube pop in front the two left tubes. I just need to adjust the slack on the tubes.

Thanks,
-Ron

Last edited:
Leaking brake cylinders

I have two that want to let one drop a day seep out, two that are tight and don't leak. I have tightened them as much as I dare in fear of stripping out the threads...were you able to really force them around one more time after they seemed "tight" without damage? I even tried pro-seal around the fittings (not on the threads) and the hydraulic fluid seeps past even pro-seal.