rv7charlie

Well Known Member
Has anyone with a 6/7 tipup considered mounting the brake reservoir in the cockpit on the aft side of F-768? I realize that it has the potential to be messy, but I do acro in my -4 fairly often & haven't noticed any mess on the firewall near the brake reservoir.

I see a lot of posts worrying about using unobtainium fire-proof metal firewall pass-throughs for wire & steel control cables, but I've never seen any concern for the aluminum/plastic (& flammable liquid) filled hole for the brake reservoir pass-through.

What say you?

Charlie

Charlie,

Servicing the brake fluid reservoir is going to be your biggest issue with putting it aft of the firewall. Also, I believe you want it as high as possible so any air bubbles move up to the reservoir.

Besides, I would much rather clean the engine side of the firewall than the footwell.

If you are worried about spilling brake fluid, why not plumb in a second reservoir to catch what comes out of the top of main one? Either that or don't fill the main one to the top. (I suspect it will sill leak though.)

I used a stainless steel T fitting instead of the Van's plastic one. I'll fill the pass-thru hole with hi-temp sealer of some kind.

Not worried about drips/leaks; just figured that 3 fewer holes in the firewall & fewer things hanging there would be a good thing.

Mounting on F-768 would be as high or higher than the recommended firewall location; servicing should be relatively easy with the canopy open.

Still pondering....

Thanks,

Charlie