JimWoo50

Well Known Member
Is it alright to reverse the position of the an fitting and the bleeder valve on one of my brake calipers? I am somewhat reluctant to do this because the bleeder valve has a coating of sealent on it and I don't really want to break the seal without checking first. But I have tried every position with the holes in the brake mounting flange and U-810 and although it came out fine on one side with the bleeder valve down the other side has the bleeder valve up when the caliper is installed on the wheel?

JimWoo50 said:
Is it alright to reverse the position of the an fitting and the bleeder valve on one of my brake calipers? I am somewhat reluctant to do this because the bleeder valve has a coating of sealent on it and I don't really want to break the seal without checking first. But I have tried every position with the holes in the brake mounting flange and U-810 and although it came out fine on one side with the bleeder valve down the other side has the bleeder valve up when the caliper is installed on the wheel?

Go ahead and swap them out--you'll break the "seal" when you bleed them anyway.

You might also consider swapping the O-ring out for one made of Viton (tolerates higher temps), especially if you have an A-model. There is some discussion in the archives.

The brakes are stone simple, and I don't think you could possibly hurt them by taking them apart, except maybe if you cross-threaded a fitting or put the puck in upside down. You should check anyway, since some brake assemblies were apparently shipped from the factory several years ago with the pucks upside down, which less to brake failures.

Just to make it clear--you have to swap the fittings in one of the brakes. No other choice. Just use some new teflon paste (not tape) when you put the fittings back in.

I'm about to do this, but the sealant or whatever they've put on the bleeder fitting looks like freaking gorilla glue or something. Simple (but considerable) hand force with a properly sized socket and wrench didn't budge it, and I'm hesitant to do anything lest I tear up the fitting (or worse, break it off).

Suggestions as to the best way to remove this glued-in fitting? TIA...

I'm about to do this, but the sealant or whatever they've put on the bleeder fitting looks like freaking gorilla glue or something. Simple (but considerable) hand force with a properly sized socket and wrench didn't budge it, and I'm hesitant to do anything lest I tear up the fitting (or worse, break it off).

Suggestions as to the best way to remove this glued-in fitting? TIA...

Use a small pen tourch and heat the area around the fitting. It just needs to be heated about 100 deg hotter than what it is to help release the part. You might also try a hair dryer. But a pen tourch is a fun tool to have. And it works great for solder jobs and heat shrink................