Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Hello everyone,

Working on finishing-up the brakes on my 9A. Going to be drilling the holes for the lower bolt on the master cylinders. How are people positioning the brake pedal? Like the first photo, or the second photo, and if like the second photo, how much lean back?

Brake pedal in same plane as rudder pedal:

Brake pedal leaning back:

Thanks,

Tom

Hey Tom,

My pedal angle pretty much splits the difference between your two photos...maybe a little closer to the second. When I lined it up per plans, the pedals were too vertical, so I drilled closer to the bottom of the "control horn" piece that rivets to the pedal.

I wish I had a decent pic of mine, but I don't.

Do the pedals move with no binding whatsoever? I went with long AN3 bolts for the pivots instead of two separate bolts, and I'm happy I did. Some guys use extra return springs on the master cylinders, but I find the stock internal springs are more than adequate if you have a completely bind-free pedal. Do a search for the long-bolt solution if you're interested.

Thanks Doug. Yes, I've seen the posts on the single long bolt option. I don't seem to have any binding issues, but have not really assessed this very thoroughly yet. Do you (or anyone else) have a spring spec? I was going to add them for good measure.

T.

Not parallel to the tubes.

If you'll take a three foot ruler and clamp it horizontally to the rears of the vertical tubes and then bring your brake pedals back to touch it, you'll have them both leaning an equal amount back. This is so you don't accidentally brake while landing.

We were advised to do this on our -6 and it worked beautifully...no inadvertent braking.

Best,

If you'll take a three foot ruler and clamp it horizontally to the rears of the vertical tubes and then bring your brake pedals back to touch it, you'll have them both leaning an equal amount back. This is so you don't accidentally brake while landing.

We were advised to do this on our -6 and it worked beautifully...no inadvertent braking.

Best,

Thanks, I'll try that

I did my brake pedals just about like you have in the first photo, and they bug me on taxi, it's difficult not to ride the brakes. I'll be changing the angle relatively soon, I would think something closer to your second photo would be about right, maybe not quite that far.

I pulled my rudder bars out of the fuselage and jigged them up securely. Once that was done, I played with the angle while sitting on the floor until it felt "right". "Right" for me was about half of what you have in you pictures.

One thing to remember is that the angle is different for the left and right peddles because the rudder bars come down at different angles to meet in the middle.

I mocked-up the brake pedal position using Pierre's suggestion, and I don't think the pedals are leaning back enough for my size 13s. Sounds like the consensus is somewhere between my first 2 pictures.

I've been searching for threads here showing installation of springs on the master cylinders. Does someone have a link to that?