Combination

I used the nylon (?) lines from Van's for everything up to the low pressure side of the master cylinders on the left seat rudder pedals. From the output of these two master cylinders I loop high pressure hose (fabric reinforced rubber) over the suspended rudder pedal weldment to AN fittings in an angle bracket on the back side of the firewall. I run the aluminum tubing from there to the slave cylinders at the wheels.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Ted Farmin said:
What do the majority do as far as using Vans nylon brake lines or hard lines?
Ted

Ted, Here's what I did.

http://www.jeffsrv-7a.com/FUSELAGE/04-12-08.htm

FUSELAGE%20254.jpg

I've heard that the nylon lines are a common source of leaks. Using braided stainless steel sure looks slick. How much did those lines set you back Jeff?

I've been using the Nylo-Seal nylon tubing in brake systems for over 20 years and have never had a problem with it. It is good for 1800 PSI. Nylaflow is also used in many aircraft brake systems. It is good for 1000 PSI. I do not use it forward of the firewall. I use aluminum from the firewall to the wheel caliper.
Mel...DAR

Davepar said:
I've heard that the nylon lines are a common source of leaks. Using braided stainless steel sure looks slick. How much did those lines set you back Jeff?

After I returned the stock lines and fittings, the difference was about $100. But I will say one thing, it sure gives a piece of mind wondering if it will leak when I fill it the first time.

-Jeff

Hi Ted,

I got mine all done with the plastic stuff, but am going to change to steel-braid throughout. I've seen too many accounts of blown lines and flaming wheel pants. I figure I'll run lines from the master to the side skin, put a bulkhead fitting there, and then a line down to the brakes. I'm also using individual reservoirs from Spruce that screw right into the master cyls.

Steve Zicree
RV4

My bigest source of leaks

One of the Cleveland Master cylinder had an "O" ring that was damaged in "Their" assembly. The slow leak and pool of red was not corrected until I got an overhaul kit from them and replaced the visably damaged "O" ring. The fluid was coming out of the top as they are installed in my RV-6A. Another problem was the return springs were not doing their job of pushing the piston back up past the inlet port when the breaks were released. A little stretching fixed that.

Bob Axsom