avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Not looking to start the nylon vs teflon war. I've installed the nylon lines and brass fittings that Vans sends. Just not happy with them.
That said, I'm looking to get the Teflon braided steel lines from PEGASUS.
I have the dual brakes and will NOT be using a parking brake.
Anyone who has installed these here are my questions:

1. I am looking to get the size 3 36" lines with straight AN fittings to run from pilot to passenger side. Is that correct?

2. I am assuming that I will have to change out the brass fittings that go into the master cylinders for aluminum AN fittings. If that is correct what size AN fittings to get?

3. What length hose to run from the resevoir to the RIGHT cylinders?

4. Do I need to change the plastic T fitting that goes into the resevoir?

5. I've ordered my finishing kit. Should I just go with the lines that VANS will supply to go from the pilot side to the firewall?

AS always, any input is apprciated.

Peter K
9A QB-Waiting for th finishing kit to arrive

Peter:
For the fitting into the reservoir, I believe the threads are 1/8 pipe. Fittings for the brake lines are 1/4 tube on both ends. You can purchase an AN "T" with these sizes, which I would recommend. For the brake lines, Pegasus makes pre-assembled, stainless braided, teflon lines. To match the 1/4 tube, you will need their AN4 versions. The fitting coming out of your master cylinders is also a 1/8 pipe on the inboard end and 1/4 tube on the line end. Finally, check to make sure that 36" will be sufficient for your aircraft - it's hard to stretch the stainless lines. Good decision to eliminate the plastic.
Good Luck,
Terry
RV9A
N323TP

Use -3 hose....

terrykohler said:
Peter:
For the fitting into the reservoir, I believe the threads are 1/8 pipe. Fittings for the brake lines are 1/4 tube on both ends. You can purchase an AN "T" with these sizes, which I would recommend. For the brake lines, Pegasus makes pre-assembled, stainless braided, teflon lines. To match the 1/4 tube, you will need their AN4 versions. The fitting coming out of your master cylinders is also a 1/8 pipe on the inboard end and 1/4 tube on the line end. Finally, check to make sure that 36" will be sufficient for your aircraft - it's hard to stretch the stainless lines. Good decision to eliminate the plastic.
Good Luck,
Terry
RV9A
N323TP

No need to stay with the 1/4 tube size for the Teflon hoses...

There is no fluid flow in the brake lines, so going to the smaller -3 hose makes the lines more flexible and easier to handle.

The 1/8 pipe thread can be mated to the 37 degree flare fitting with the appropriate AN 822 fitting (AN 822-3D in this case) - just buy new fittings to replace the kit ones with the -4 tube size...

gil in Tucson

I ordered teflon lined SS braided hose from A.E.R.O. for my RV-10. I simply ordered the same length as the poly hose I had previously cut. They were pretty reasonable, pre tested, and came in 2 days. I used -4, and ordered 90 deg bends on 2 ends, because it was an easier fit.

When I am ready for the lines on the gear legs, I will do the same. A.E.R.O. advertizes here, and I happily recommend them.

OR.....

Go down to your local hydraulics shoppe who will make you almost exactly the same thing for WAAY less money...:)

Frank

Reservoir fitting

I guess you'll also need an AN826-3D to hook the lines up to the brake reservoir.

AN826C.jpg

http://aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an826.php

-Rick