Tram

Well Known Member
Made the swap to Royco 782 yesterday and while working on the swap, we started discussing the aluminum brake lines.. I've done a little searching here on the board but have not turned up what I'm looking for..

The builder of our 6 "sealed" the gear leg fairings, I haven't read/hear of this is SOP, but if we wanted to completely replace the brake lines we'd also be looking at new leg fairings which we don't really wish to do..

We do have a decent amount of line out of the bottom of the fairing.. Would there be an "easy" way to go with a flexible hose from the bottom of the fairing to the brake assembly?

Thanks

Jeff

Made the swap to Royco 782 yesterday and while working on the swap, we started discussing the aluminum brake lines.. I've done a little searching here on the board but have not turned up what I'm looking for..

The builder of our 6 "sealed" the gear leg fairings, I haven't read/hear of this is SOP, but if we wanted to completely replace the brake lines we'd also be looking at new leg fairings which we don't really wish to do..

We do have a decent amount of line out of the bottom of the fairing.. Would there be an "easy" way to go with a flexible hose from the bottom of the fairing to the brake assembly?

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff,

One of the concerns with "sealed" gear legs is corrosion caused by moisture entrapment that goes unseen. Sealing the legs was done occassionally years ago but was never considered standard procedure.

The flexible lines are really nice, I changed my rigid lines to flex a couple of years ago. If it was my plane, I would strip the gear legs to make sure there is no corrosion and redo the fairings and lines. The job isn't as bad as it sounds and you will know the gear is done right. :)

How was it sealed?

snipped

snipped

Jeff

Jeff,
Do you know HOW the fairings were sealed? I ask, because one of my friends deleted the hinge connecting the rear edges of the gear main fairings on his RV4. He simply sealed this seam with ProSeal. I queried him on how he would deal with this [he is an A&P, IA] if the fairings ever needed to be removed? He stated that a sharp razor blade or dental floss could be used to cut the ProSeal. The dental floss method is similar to how we cut windshields out of cars and trucks. Removing those fairings might not be such a big deal.
Charlie Kuss

Jeff--

are you using 3/16, or1/4 rigid tube along the gear legs? Short teflon flex hoses are no big deal to make. Decide how long you need the hoses, and flare the tubing, and connect the two with a AN815-3D or AN815-4D union (depending on the size of the tubing). .
Tom

Jeff,

One of the concerns with "sealed" gear legs is corrosion caused by moisture entrapment that goes unseen. Sealing the legs was done occasionally, years ago, but was never considered standard procedure.

The flexible lines are really nice, I changed my rigid lines to flex a couple of years ago. If it was my plane, I would strip the gear legs to make sure there is no corrosion and redo the fairings and lines. The job isn't as bad as it sounds and you will know the gear is done right. :)

Great advice from Sam. Can you contact the fellow who built your RV, to ask him how he secured the fairings?
Charlie

Jeff,

One of the concerns with "sealed" gear legs is corrosion caused by moisture entrapment that goes unseen. Sealing the legs was done occassionally years ago but was never considered standard procedure.

I need to add that the flex hoses on my RV-6 run from the firewall bulkhead fitting all the way to the caliper. I built these hoses out of speed shop AN fittings and stainless braided hose but they are available pre-made at reasonable prices.

Sam is spot on...

Jeff,

Those fairings need to come off. My neighbor sealed his early 6 and discovered corrosion doing a wheel pant upgrade. He was able to save the gear legs, but just barely.

Those fairings need to come off. My neighbor sealed his early 6 and discovered corrosion doing a wheel pant upgrade. He was able to save the gear legs, but just barely.

Yeh, I guess we need to get them off.. Not really looking forward to that..

I guess I need to look into picking up some fairings.. How much of a problem is building up new fairings?

Keep in mind, we were buyers and not builders..

Last edited:
Either use the current ones as a mold and make your own or buy new ones.

Fairings etc is one source.

I'm looking at the Team Rocket fairings.. Didn't see main gear fairings at Fairings-etc..

My biggest concern is getting them installed.. I'm not real sure what the process is and whether or not we have the tools/skill set to install them..

They are pretty easy to build

Yeh, I guess we need to get them off.. Not really looking forward to that..

I guess I need to look into picking up some fairings.. How much of a problem is building up new fairings?

Keep in mind, we were buyers and not builders..

The biggest challenge is getting them true so they do not influence your trim or induce uneven drag. Your intersection fairings may already capture them "as-built" leaving you little room for change here anyway.
There are lots of threads here on various approaches to true'ing up gear leg fairings. Get the instructions from the builders manual and do some searching here and you should be good to go.
Vans has the necessary parts and can help you with the misc. things like rivets, hinge material, etc...or you could proseal them as some have suggested. I would consider that as they rarely need to come off. That approach would be very easy just requiring the fairings, a little trimming, some proseal and clamps. Wish I would have done mine that way from the start.

Last edited:
..or you could proseal them as some have suggested. I would consider that as they rarely need to come off. That approach would be very easy just requiring the fairings, a little trimming, some proseal and clamps. Wish I would have done mine that way from the start.

Leg fairings do get beat up a bit from gravel, and the pant intersections sliding slightly up and down. I like the idea of having the piano hinge, to easily remove them for a bit of spot painting. Especially when the hangar is cold, and my shop is warm.

L.Adamson --- RV6A