svennijo

Hi All,
I have a 8 with the standard gear from Vans. I was looking in the archives and could not find many good pictures on how everyone was running the brake line into the fuselage. I am obviously going to have to cut some metal to fit it in but would rather not re-invent the wheel. Does anyone have some pictures on how they got the line into the fuselage to the fitting where the main gear attaches?
Thanks

Ummm, I don't mean to sound like a smart-a$$, but read the drawings, it's in there. Just drill a hole in the indicated position, install the bulkhead AN fitting, run the lines. The gear leg line runs up the back of the gear leg, makes a slight jog over the outboard steel gear leg attach point, then to the fitting. No metal cutting needed at all.

Sorry I don't have the drawing number handy, but it it was simple enough that this first time builder muddled through with no trouble.

I have looked and read drawing 45 multiple times. The fitting is in but there is the cover that is on the bottom of the fuselage. You can't put a line through there without doing some metal work. Pictures would be great the drawing from vans only says to run up the back of the gear leg.

The fitting is in but there is the cover that is on the bottom of the fuselage. You can't put a line through there without doing some metal work.

Oh right, the cover plate. Forgot about that. Just cut a notch in the outboard end... it doesn't have to be pretty, it'll eventually be covered by the fiberglass upper leg fairing.

Here is how I ran the brake lines per Van's instructions.
001.jpg

A slight "S" to bring the line outside the bottom of the fuselage
002-1.jpg

Then a slot is cut in the access panel to run it down the gear leg
011-1.jpg

Josh. Whatever you do with your brake pipes PLEASE PLEASE pressure test them for leaks. It will save a lot of grief when you fill them with brake fluid - don't ask!

I pressure tested with air to 350 psi using a dual valve pump designed for pumping up cycle pneumatic suspension.

Here is my log entry.

Regards

Bob Ellis
www.rv-8.co.uk
First engine start completed the BIG DAY draws near