todehnal

Well Known Member
I have noticed that on all RV's, the brake lines exit the master cylinders toward the rear and are vulnerable to be damaged by uneducated feet. Does anyone have a fix for this? Surely, someone offers cylinders that allow the brake lines to be routed forward of the rudder peddles, thus getting them out of the way of these uneducated feet.

Tom

Well, this question is over 4 years old and I have the same question. My tech counselor came over last night and he had the same concern about feet and brake lines. I told him that I'd throw out the question to the community. Has anybody ever had a problem with feet breaking brake lines at the rudder pedals? Has anybody made any changes to minimize this risk?

Excellent point, I was thinking of building sheilds for the master and lines. would like to see if anyone else has done this.

I've replaced the plastic lines and the associated brass compression fittings for stainless braided lines (from Bonoco) and AN fittings. I believe they are much more robust, and less likely to leak too.

Bevan

I've never heard of a problem, even though it sure seems(upon visual inspection) that there could be one. Perhaps that is why I like to go with individual brake reservoirs and only a single line out of the cylinder - looks cleaner. but there are thousands of RV's flying around out there with the stock setup, and I have never heard of anyone pulling the lines out with their feet.

Paul

There are bigger problems

Never been a problem with feet crushing lines in the thousands of hours my friends and I have flown RVs. I would recommend using braided steel lines throughout if it concerns you.

A larger issue is one of wear. You may want to substitute 45 degree nipples on the pressure side to better allow positioning lines so none chafe against each other during movement. This does arc the lines aft even further, but if you're going to be clumsy in the first place, it hardly matters.

The biggest complaint I have is with the brake pedal positioning relative to the rudder bar. It's a really bad design since it's nearly impossible to taxi without inadvertently pressing the pedal. I've tried custom plates that allow pitching the pedal radically forward, it helps, but the bottom edge still is contacted by the sole of your shoe. What works is mounting the pedal 7/8" forward of plan's position by installing the attach angles on the face instead of the rear. You then must make a conscious effort to raise your foot high on the bar to press the pedal. There's plenty of clearance from goodies on the backside of the firewall.

John Siebold