miyu1975

Well Known Member
I have noticed that my left brake has been soft..so today I took it apart to investigate. First the flare at the bottom of the line had broken again....I thought that was easy and would be done. I ended up removing the whole thing an noticed the cylinder was pushed all the way out and was crooked...I took my C clamp and pressed back in. Put it all back together, bled the brakes, thought I was good to go..but then noticed a slow leak, drip from the bottom, from the leaky clinder (bad oring). So I am assuming the broken flare got into cylinder and disturbed the oring.

what are my options?..buy a new one, overhaul this one... I can't find the number for cleveland brakes on the web anywhere. Vans said to call back later and talk to techs.

pic

Thought I would answer my own question here.. I used compressed air to blow out the cylinder. The oring was damaged. I replaced it, put all back together, and problem solved.

Brake line

Hi Ryan,
Just a suggestion. Have you thought of replacing Vans rigid lines with the flexable lines with SS braid from Summitt or JEGS? all my lines in my RV7 are flex except the short ones in the cockpit for fuel from the selector valve. No leaks, seeps or drips once installed. also much easier to replace brake pads as you can manipulate the brakes once unbolted from the wheel. No need to disconnect the line to change pads ;-)) Just going through this issue on the RV1 as my right brake started seeping due to a bad O ring and I have rigid lines on The Mocking Bird.

Yes,I have considered and will be replacing the lines with SS braided type in the very near future, wish I would have sooner.

The upgraded stainless brake lines are definitely a great improvement and will last for a long long time.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Have a great day,
Steve