Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
I have read many comments about the Vans aluminum can. Rocket Bob says no problem. Others have opted for individual cans on the master cylinder like a C140. If I am willing to deal with the Vans can on the cockpit side of the firewall, what am I missing regarding safety and function ?
I understand hoses from TS Flightlines to the caliper is a good thing due to heat. I am only pondering the fluid reservoir to the master cylinder??

Larry---not that familiar with the 3, but we can figure a way to mount and plumb the reservoir on the engine side of the firewall if you want.
Tom

We have the individual reservoirs on all three of our planes - they work well, and there are that many fewer connections and hoses.

FWIW, I find brake bleeding is more of a hassle and a lot messier with cylinder mounted reservoirs.

So easy, even a wife can do it!

Larry, you do have to remove each wheel pant but I find bleeding the remote cylinders easy and (generally) without a mess.

The cylinders we used are similar to Grove Reservoir 067-050. (Ours don't have the black anodizing.

I've just been switching to new master cylinders on my RV-4 and went to the Grove individual reservoirs for the reasons that Paul has said. The reason for the change was to fix a soft brake problem and go away from the 'inverted' master cylinder with the old Clevelands.

The trick that I used to bleed them cleanly was to screw in a nylon NPT to hose fitting in the top of the reservoir and run a length of tube into a bottle to collect the overspill. Then drain out the surplus fluid from the bleed nipple before re-fitting the reservoir cap. I found the nylon fitting at Home Depot.

Cylinder Mounted Reservoirs

Possibly not an issue with the -3's, (or others ?), but as this is in General, and the use in -8's has been mentioned, it's worth pointing out again, the potentially hazardous situation regarding the limited rudder pedal travel. At least in the -8's with in-flight adjustable pedals.

As I see it, you have to either, position the cylinders with a combination of angle fittings, physically limit the pedal adjust mechanism so the most forward positions can't be used, or just placard to warn of the risks :eek:.
Or perhaps just feel comfortable in the knowledge that no one with long legs will ever fly your plane. :rolleyes:

Paul.

One plane fitted per plans with firewall reservoir, one plane with individual pedal mounted. Flip a coin..... pluses and minuses to both.