What brake fluid are you using and what would you use next time?

• Currently using MIL-H5606

Votes: 66 40.2%
  • Currently using MIL-83282

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • Currently using Mobil 1 ATF

Votes: 36 22.0%
  • Currently using DOT "X" (some form of DOT)

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Currently using none of the above

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Next time will use MIL-H5606

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Next time will use MIL-H83282

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Next time will use Mobil 1 ATF

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • Next time will use DOT "X" (some form of DOT)

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Next time will use none of the above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
There have recently been a couple extensive threads about brake fluid choices. What's everyone currently using and what would you use if you did it again?

Have a gallon jug of 5606, also use it for my hydraulics so it is convenient to stick to a single fluid. Matco masters, slaves, and brakes. Works without complaint.

MIL-83282

I used to use 5606 but became a convert to 83282 after reading about brake fires plaguing some, mostly glass, airplanes, but I think it could happen in an RV as well. We had a Cirrus burn to the ground here on our airport some time back. He was testing his brakes, caught them on fire (5606) and by the time the fire department got to him his wing and fuel had caught fire.

I think 83282 has mostly replaced 5606 in military and commercial aviation as well. Not to say 5606 is bad, just that 83282 is better.

I also flush and replace brake fluid at every other annual condition inspection. Back in my 5606 days, I had pulled one of my master cylinders to fix a small leak and was amazed at how cruddy looking the residual fluid was that spilled out of the actuator!

I'm still using 5606, but on the list of things to change. I added passenger-side brakes to my -6 about 5 years after it was first filled with 5606 and upon disassembly, I noticed that the fluid in the white plastic supply lines had turned into a thick, sticky goo. After seeing that, I flushed the entire system and found the fluid in the whole system had thickened as well. And the whole time before I added the passenger-side brakes, the braking system always operated well, with the brakes releasing and engaging normally.

Now, the question is, is Mobil1 ATF compatible with residual 5606 in the system, or do I need to do a proper flush and replacement of O-rings?

Yeah, I'm not surprised that people are using 5606, but I am surprised that more of them don't plan to go up to 83282 (or something with a higher flashpoint) next time given that it seems to be readily available and not significantly more expensive.

Brake fluid

The best is Royco 782, comes in quart cans.
It is compatible with 5606 so you can drain your system and service it with Royco 782.