trib

Well Known Member
Figured I'd pass along some info concerning my recently filling the brake system. I used a hand oiler ($5 at harbor freight- the high pressure one) and filled from the low point (brake bleed screw) through dual brakes to the reservoir on the firewall (6A). The fill appeared to work beautifully, no bubbles visible anywhere - clear tubing per plans from the downstream side of the pilot master cylinder, to the co-pilot cylinder and to the reservoir. Made sure the pedals were fully back to allow flow through the co-pilot cylinder. When the brake was actuated, small air bubbles would generate in the low pressure side tubing. Repeated the fill about 10 times on right and left sides and still got bubbles. No fluid leaked from any part of the system, fittings or otherwise.

Contacted Matco (Andy) and he was very helpful attempting to diagnose. Having read all the threads on VAF.net prior to the evolution, I had already accounted for any issues. Only possibilities were it was drawing a vacuum due to inadequate venting on the reservoir (doubtful) or my feeling that since the units had been unused for about 5 years due to my long build time that something was amis. I used synthetic transmission fluid for filling. Andy was really doubtful that the time had anything to do with it, since they were sealed except for the last 1.5 years and felt the fluid from manufacturing would be sufficient. I sent the units to him so he could test for leakage and sure enough, the seals were the issue. He rebuilt and tested all four for $75, including material. Just a little more than cost of the rebuild kits, and provided peace of mind to me that they were actually fixed.

Reinstalled the master cyclinders and filled, brakes worked great with just a couple of bubbles from the elbows after the initial fill. One more fill/purge and no bubbles.

If you have master cylinders which have been stored for a while and you contiuously get bubbles after initial fill, save yourself a lot of troubleshooting time and order the rebuild kit from Matco ($9 each). Don't waste your time trying to hunt down non-existent leaks if you can't find any!