Paris12Man

Well Known Member
During my most recent taxi tests I have noticed the left Master Brake Cylinder (pilot side) does not fully release after use. This causes the left brake to drag and taxing straight without using right brake to compensate is impossible. Once your out of the airplane, you can reach in and manualy pull the brake pedal the last 1/4" and this releases the brake.

Has anyone experienced this before? I checked the installation on the cylinder and all looks good. I guess I can carry a long stick with a hook at the end to release the brake before landing, but I was hoping for some better suggestions.......any ideas?

Thank you....Steve

here's a coulple of thoughts

There has been quite a bit of discussion around here on just that subject. Some people, myself included, have installed a long bolt in the rudder/brake pedal so that one bolt goes though both sides of the pedal, on the theory that it keeps the pedal from cocking. Others, again myself included, have installed external brake return ?helper? springs. Again do a search and you should find the information, I?ve forgotten how long the long -3 bolts need to be, but I?m sure it?s here somewhere, along with the spring part numbers from McMaster Carr.

I also added hat bushings gluing them to the pedals then line reaming them straight.

Thank you

Thank you Mike for taking the time to reply. Your information has helped me find some more information on the forum. Some external springs being added to assist the cylinder to fully release after use might be the answer. I'll know after further research. Thanks again. Steve:)

Hey Steve - -

I'd sure guess you have a master problem. I think I'd take it off and see how it feels in your hands. My guess is it is binding some. 'Some' could lead to more. I'd take it off.

John Bender

Good luck!

Good luck replacing the master cylinder. I had a duff one and Vans kindly replaced it, however reinstalling the split pit was a nightmare. I'm still not happy with mine (the split pin, that is), but will probably have to lose some weight and/or get better eyesight to improve it ;-)

Cheers...Keith

Maybe problem solved

All, thanks for the suggestions. I believe I found the problem....I had the nut too tight at the bottom of the Master Cylinder. By loosening the nut, it seemed to allow the master cylinder to rotate slightly and that allow the release of the brake.............at least that is what I think at this time. Thanks to RVBuilder2002 for the suggestion. See other post from 6/3/11 for more information!! Steve:D