Lancer83

I am currently putting together the brake and wheel assemblies. I am not happy with the brake mounting setup. The bolts are in a tight area where only open end wrenches can be used. Even then, they have to be used at an odd angle. So much for proper torque. I am also finding that the brake caliper plate disorts when the bolts are tightened. This causes the caliper pins to bind and not slide freely. No wonder I have read stories about brakes dragging and uneven pad wear!
Mike Hardison
Ramona CA

Mike,

Which model RV and which brakes?

I went with the Grove brake and wheel setup on my -7A and saw no issues but the instructions/drawings were a bit vague. Luckily there are two -8s in the same hangar with the same setup.

I am currently putting together the brake and wheel assemblies. I am not happy with the brake mounting setup. The bolts are in a tight area where only open end wrenches can be used. Even then, they have to be used at an odd angle. So much for proper torque. I am also finding that the brake caliper plate disorts when the bolts are tightened. This causes the caliper pins to bind and not slide freely. No wonder I have read stories about brakes dragging and uneven pad wear!
Mike Hardison
Ramona CA
Hi Mike,

Yup, sometimes you just can't put a torque wrench on a fastener because of limited clearance. So apply proper torque to a like-sized fastener elsewhere, put an open-end wrench on it to establish "feel" for what proper torque is, and apply that to the renegade fastener.

Can't speak to the distortion problem...mine cranked down nice and straight.

Thee caliper pins shouls always slide free. Go back and do the install over..... You did something wrong.

I had to trim the wheel pant bracket to clear the Matco calipers.

Before:
IMG_2704-M.jpg

After:
IMG_2735-M.jpg

Thanks,
I had already modified the wheel pant bracket. After mounting and dismounting the assembly four times the caliper now slides freely.