Fedico94

the brake caliper sent to me by Vans (part No 30-6 Parker) each has a bleed nipple in place for two left sided calipers. Trying to remove the pipe threaded nipple I began to strip the nut head. What to I need to loosen the pipe thread from the sealent that they used ? And what should I use to reseal after I place the nipple on the correct side for the right side caliper.

the brake caliper sent to me by Vans (part No 30-6 Parker) each has a bleed nipple in place for two left sided calipers. Trying to remove the pipe threaded nipple I began to strip the nut head. What to I need to loosen the pipe thread from the sealent that they used ? And what should I use to reseal after I place the nipple on the correct side for the right side caliper.

Use a 6 sided socket or box wrench only. Use a pen torch to heat the caliper around the part that you want to remove.

Heat the area to just hot to the touch.

Re-seal with TEFLON TFE PASTE. Do not use teflon tape.........

Good advice

.....Use a 6 sided socket or box wrench only. .........

....for any tight bolt. I stripped the blade bolt on my lawn mower recently by using a twelve point socket.

Yep, decided to cut grass 'cause it was too lousy to fly:)

Regards,

If

the six sided socket doesn't work (it should) the grab a pair of vice grips..You have one shot at this so set them Tight!...Add some heat and then gently try to unscrew..I never had one failt to come out using this method.

Frank

Best results

Used a true six sided socket and add to it 12 inches of properly fitting handle along with padded vise to hold the caliper and it backs off without any problem. Did not heat nor did I use penetrating oil. (recommended by Vans)

Big adjustable wrench

I recently did mine using a big adjustable wrench. It had a 12" handle, which gave me enough leverage to do the job. And the fact that it was adjustable actually allowed me to get a tighter fit around the hex part of the nipple than would have been possible with the "correct" socket wrench, since socket wrenches are by design always slightly larger than the part. With a good tight fit achievable with the adjustable wrench there is less of a tendency to distort and round over the corners of the hex part.