mwtucker

I read about how great the Mishimoto Braid Spreader is:

I bought one but can't figure out how the braid spreading function works. Can't find any videos of braid spreaders. Tech support is coming up empty (although they are looking). Quite a few distributors sell this tool. It is a piece of jewelry--excellent quality machined from aluminum stock. I know it is relatively easy to do without this tool... Has anyone used a braid spreader tool?

Thanks,
Mike

I bought one but can't figure out how the braid spreading function works. Can't find any videos of braid spreaders. Tech support is coming up empty (although they are looking). Quite a few distributors sell this tool. It is a piece of jewelry--excellent quality machined from aluminum stock. I know it is relatively easy to do without this tool... Has anyone used a braid spreader tool?

Thanks,
Mike
I haven't used one but based on the appearance and the description I think the tool is intended for pushing the olive onto the PTFE tube. The braid would still need to be carefully "teased out" first by working around with a small flat blade screwdriver to make a gap between the tube and the braid.

Since I don't have this tool, I install the olive onto the tube by pushing the end of the tube into the olive against something flat and there is no risk of injury using this method.

I haven't used one but based on the appearance and the description I think the tool is intended for pushing the olive onto the PTFE tube. The braid would still need to be carefully "teased out" first by working around with a small flat blade screwdriver to make a gap between the tube and the braid.

Since I don't have this tool, I install the olive onto the tube by pushing the end of the tube into the olive against something flat and there is no risk of injury using this method.
Well when I was using field attachable hose ends, a small screwdriver worked very well. When you cut the hose, 1 end will flare the other wont, so do the flared side first, the slide the socket on backwards over the non-flared end, and spread out the braid.

Thanks,
Mike
Never used one one but the only thing I can think of is to stick the small rounded end between the braid and the tube then run it around the tube to open the braid. Guessing you could then use the appropriate size end to push the ferrule onto the tube. Interesting that a well made specialty tool like that has no instructions for use.

Never used one one but the only thing I can think of is to stick the small rounded end between the braid and the tube then run it around the tube to open the braid. Guessing you could then use the appropriate size end to push the ferrule onto the tube. Interesting that a well made specialty tool like that has no instructions for use.
I know that the braid can be spread using a tool like a small screwdriver, but the tools are called "braid spreaders". I found the one that I recall reading about (see photo below). This one had a slot that receives the PTFE hose as it is pressed towards the handle. The chamfered edge pushes in between the braid and the O.D. of the hose (protecting fingers and does a much cleaner job of separating the braid than achieved with a screwdriver. I ordered one and will be returning the Mishimoto one. What puzzles me is why the Mishimoto one seems popular? No one has been able to tell me how the Mishimoto "braid spreader" works! I keep thinking I must be missing something! We'll see when the JEGS one works when it arrives.

2024-06-28_13-55-24.jpg