Eddie

Hi all
Im a new RVator and was wondering what the best brace position during a forced landing would be... With the nose wheel I will have a good chance of flipping over?
Normally one would bend forward with your bead between your legs... But with the stick right there and a pretty strong roll bar, should you not keep your head back?

That's for the passenger, obviously the pilot needs to keep flying as far as possible...

Thanks guys
Eddie

Upright - belts tight

Putting your head down in an RV is not a good idea IMHO, because it guarantees a head impact. I suggest tighten your belts and if you have anything soft (jacket, pillow, ...) hold it against your face.
There is a good chance of flipping regardless of nose or tail wheel, if the surface is not nice and smooth.

I agree with Dennis- you can't hold your head/body against crash G forces. Tighten seatbelt and especially shoulder harness and pad their face.

This is also the time to be thankful for a crotch (anti-submarine) belt if you have one.

I agree with Dennis- you can't hold your head/body against crash G forces. Tighten seatbelt and especially shoulder harness and pad their face.

This is also the time to be thankful for a crotch (anti-submarine) belt if you have one.

The proper sequence for tighten your harness is crotch strap first, then the lap belts, and the shoulder belts last.

The idea is to keep the lap belt low across your hips and not in your gut.

wrt to sliders. One of the OWTs or myths or suggestions going around the Grumman community for a while, was to open the canopy and stick a shoe to prevent it jamming closed or the latch closing.

What does the peanut gallery think about that suggestion for slider RVs?

What does the peanut gallery think about that suggestion for slider RVs?

I think if a slider canopy is gonna jam, it'll still jam even if it's partially opened with a shoe wedged in there when the sudden deceleration at the end of the "landing" slams it shut. That's why I've started carrying one of these as an emergency egress tool.

1ff6831f-ccca-4a67-9c47-59e797808267_400.jpg

Arm

Put your arm (the one less used) in front of your head so you will break it or cut it off instead of your head. Blunt trauma to the head is a common occurrence in a wreck and your arm may provide a cushion. Of course, if you survive the impact, you may have a tough time with a severed or broke arm especially if there is a fire.

RV's need more padding on the dash just for this reason. My -6 has a thin piece of metal there. I wished I had some dash padding like you would find in vehicles.