rzbill

Well Known Member
I read the news report DR posted about a very succesfull introduction of youngsters to aviation that occured in Vero Beach. Good Stuff.

Vero Beach Boy Scout Story

However, there was one item that I question. It could just be an error in reporting, but I think it is important to note to the chapters that want to do something similar in the future

The photo caption states that an RV-8 was used for a Boy Scout flight. The national organization specifically prohibits flights in experimentals (also others like ultralights and balloons) for Boy Scouts.
Flying Tour Permit
I don't really agree with the policy, but it is there nonetheless. As a result, my chapter has avoided directly inviting scouts to join us in a "scout function". If they come in uniform, as a unit, it forces the scout leader to use the form above (that contains the prohibition). Our chapter has advertised at the local schools instead, to try to get the same young people, but not as scouts and not burdened by the beurocracy.

If someone has had a different experience with this issue, I'm all ears because I support both experimental aviation and the Boy Scout program.

Hope this helps.

There are ways----------

I am the Young Eagle program coordinator for our EAA chapter, and have bumped into the same thing.

We just had an event last week, and had the local CAP kids helping out, and they cant ride in expirementals either-------as long as it is an organized Cival Air Patrol event. Their leader says it is fine for them to go as long as they are not in uniform, and the CAP activities are over.

So, what you need to do is make the contacts through the Scouts, or whoveer, and let the kids attend the YE event as individuals, NOT as a Scout function.

We also use the YE event to sign up students for the ground school that the Chapter puts on (Flying Start program).

Good luck, and keep flying the kids.

Mike

Flying Start Program

Mike S.
Can you tell me more about your "Flying Start Program"? I always felt that flying y/e was a good start but to keep that spark going we needed some followup but haven,t come up with anything good.
Thank you
Bob
President EAA 977

BSA Flight Restrictions

I have really struggled with the Boy Scout Restrictions also. Several of the boys in my son's troop have flown with me, but not in association with the scouts. I am the only Aviation Merit Badge councilor in our troop, and would like for the final activity in the merit badge to be a flight in my RV-4 using the flight plan that the boys prepared, but that is not possible.
The other thing that is a gottcha is the ?two deep? policy. The BSA Youth Protection guidelines say that no adult leader can be alone with a boy?and in a two place airplane, that is a problem. That limits the boys to production 4 seaters. Not exactly the thrill I think we could otherwise offer them.
Currently the way I am handling it is to help the boys select merit badge requirements other than flying. It can include going to the airport, sitting in the plane, and reviewing the function and operation of the instruments and controls. Any flight that my happen after that is not associated with the merit badge or scouts?it is just between me, the boy and his parents.

Bob Hoffman said:
Mike S.
Can you tell me more about your "Flying Start Program"? I always felt that flying y/e was a good start but to keep that spark going we needed some followup but haven,t come up with anything good.
Thank you
Bob
President EAA 977

Bob, sorry to take so long to get back to you.

The "Flying Start" program was an EAA project a few years ago (5or 6?). Basicly it was a ground school. I just looked at the EAA website, and it is no longer listed there, so I assume it is no longer around.

Our chapter has continued to offer it however. We have a number of CFI types, and they put on a once a year ground school, no cost other than materials.

Mike

Hmm...interesting that they don't allow ballooning. I would think the general public would regard ballooning as one of the safest types of GA.

We flew a bunch of scouts last summer

My chapter flew a bunch of scouts last summer. I flew five myself. The parents whose kids rode in experimentals had to sign a special permission form. Maybe the troop leaders weren't aware of this policy, but then you've got to wonder where the form came from. I didn't see the form, but maybe it simply released the Boy Scouts from responsibility.

It's not clear to me how the Boy Scouts could enforce such an edict. If a kid in a scout uniform happens to get in my plane while his troop is at the airport, and his parents just signed a form saying it was OK, I don't see how the scouts have anything to say about it.

There is always a loop hole...

You just have to find it.

Since most scout troops are associated with a church, synagogue, mosque, or whatever, just make it a "church" outing rather than a scout outing.