KirkGrovesRV8

Well Known Member
Ok the RV tie in is I will be flying my RV-8 out to KARR, I just found out today I won a free instruction flight in a T-6C woohoooo this should bring me up to a whole whopping 5hrs in a T-6. The worst part is I know this is just going to keep stoking the round engine fire in my gut:rolleyes:

They say the most beautiful sound in the world is a round engine....

....that someone else is paying for !

Oshkosh 95.

B17, B29, B24, and Connie all together in formation. <500' AGL

Beautiful just doesnt go far enough.

Divine is getting close.

Congrats! I was lucky enough to score some instruction in a T-6 (really an SNJ-5 done up to look like a T-6, but close enough) and it was absolutely amazing, nothing quite like the sound and feel of that big radial 1340, especially when you push the rpms up and the tips go supersonic (happens around 2200rpm if my foggy memory is correct). I'm also very impressed with how light the controls are for such a large plane.

Shake, rattle and roll.....

I learned to fly in a round engine T-28 about a half century ago and quite frankly much preferred the smoothness and power of a jet that came later.

It's all a matter of that fire in your gut....it stays lit but in time it becomes an amber of what it was when you are 20 or so. Today I wouldn't trade my RV-7A for anything. It's perfect! :)

Don't be so certain you'll get over it. The Pitts Model 12 is one SCHWEEET airplane...

:D

The only down side is fuel flow, but if you can afford the price diff. between the RV and the Pitts you probably don't care...

got a bit of time in a T6G

Once you get over the emotional aspects of flying a T6, you'll find you like your RV much better...especially if you've ever experienced a quartering tailwind, or when something drops out of your pocket, or running out of rudder in the 3pt. attitude...I can go on and on... Good thing you won't have to worry much about the 1gal/hr. per inch of manifold pressure rule of thumb.

Once you get over the emotional aspects of flying a T6,

But the problem is I never did get over that part of it as for me that seemed to be the whole point. But I was born 50 years too late I think.

But my RV-4 sure is sweet, too.....