msstahl

Anybody run into an clearance issue between the aileron hinge service bulletin angle and a rivet that attaches the bottom skin? Did I miss a step somewhere?

What is the best way to overcome the interference?

Attachments

• Aileron Service Bulletin.jpg
    Aileron Service Bulletin.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 297
I notched the flange of that one angle just a bit, and substituted pull rivets for the 2 trailing edge skin rivets that the SB added pieces interfere with.

MK-319 as well. Been using that rivet as a substitute for 3/32 rivets when needed. Going to order extras with the next Van’s order.

Solid rivet options

It's not easy, but it is possible to do these with solid rivets.

I cut the flanges on the reinforcement angles back at 45 deg, since those bits of the flange aren't doing anything useful from a structural point of view ("adding lightness").

I was then able to just get the toe of a small bucking bar in between the angle's flange and the rivet shank. Took me a few tries, including drill-outs, but it did work ok.

If you don't want to use solid rivets, an alternative to the MK319BS is a Cherrymax CR-3214. These are a blind fastener equivalent to the NAS1097 "oops" rivets.

Attachments

• wings_2020-11-11_02.png
    wings_2020-11-11_02.png
    721.5 KB · Views: 194
  • wings_2021-01-02_01a.png
    wings_2021-01-02_01a.png
    368.2 KB · Views: 231
Thanks Dan, I'll give the bracket modification on my left wing a try and see where it takes me.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm getting ready to install the SB and had not caught the interference yet.