AntiGravity

Well Known Member
My wife and I are finding riveting the bottom wing skins very awkward indeed. We've done the three inboard wing walk ribs and tonight moved the wing from the table to the [newly constructed] wing stand. We think it might be easier in there since we won't have to lean across the table; awkward since we're both kinda short!! We're finding it very difficult to ensure the bucking bar sits on the rivet being driven and not on aother already driven rivet or nutplate or whatever. And its tricky to make sure the bucking bar doesn't wander off when you have limited access and leverage. And finally, how on earth do you actually check that the rivets are driven properly except by the dubious method of blind feel with the rivet guage? Exasperated... :confused:

Any hints, tips, suggestions or just plain moral support would be greatly appreciated...

Wing skins

I riveted one of my QB wing skins on a table, and the other with the wing vertical. Vertical was *much* easier!
I also found that it is best if the riveter and bucker are the same person, where possible. All the mistakes were made
when I was working with a partner. When you are doing both, you can feel when the bucking bar is in the right
place by pushing on the rivet gun. Also, if impatience kicks in, then you will get mistakes.

I found that mirrors and a flashlight helped me to look at the "questionable" rivets, but IIRC I only had to drill out
one or two.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks guys. I went with the built up/taped up bucking bar and the mirror/torch ideas. I'm still finding reaching the rivets very frustrating (short arms!), but at least when I get there they are bucking true :) No more drill outs so far :)

Thanks

Jeff,
I just helped 9A builder Peter Laurence rivet the lower outer wing skin on his 9A.. We did this on the table. I'm 6'4" tall, so I did the bucking as I have long arms. If possible, you might want to see if you can get a tall local builder to help you with the hard to reach areas.
One way to check your work, is to insert a digital camera and blindly take photos of the area in question. We used that method in addition to simply pressing my finger tip onto the shop head. Withdraw your hand and look at the size, shape and depth of the depression on your finger.
It really will help if you can get help from someone who has previous RV riveting experience and is tall.

Charlie Kuss
RV-8A cockpit wiring
Boca Raton, Florida

Camera

A camera! Good call, and surprised I missed that one. Especially since I have two of the suckers!! Unfortunately we're a little short on local RV builders here in NZ. There's a couple, but not close and not really accessible. I like that camera idea; I'm going to try that tonight :) Thanks.